Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

uBoot for PogoPlug V4

Posted by duduke 
uBoot for PogoPlug V4
July 17, 2012 02:29PM
Hi,

I'm a long time user of Dockstar + Jeff/davy uBoot + debian.
I've recently purchased a new PogoPlug V4 and could not find an accurate guide for install Jeff/Davy's uBoot on it (and thus debian as well) so, i've resorted to ALARM (archLinux Arm).
I'm really struggling with ArchLinux (I am way more comfortable with Debian/Ubuntu), any good guide on converting my ArchLinux ARM to Jeff/Davy's uBoot + Debian (wheezy as on my dockstar) ?
Re: uBoot for PogoPlug V4
July 29, 2012 09:47AM
duduke -

Does ALARM boot properly? I can't get it to boot more than once. Drives me crazy. Boots once works great, I setup everything, then it doesn't boot. The PPV4 comes up with a solid green light, but there's no IP address taken, and the logs, once I shutdown and examine the logs on the disk (with the disk plugged into another machine) it doesn't look like it had really come up. (And, no, it's not visible on my.pogoplug.com either.)

Thanks.

- Jim
July 29, 2012 10:03AM
Works great every time.
BTW, I'm using the top usb2 with a Sandisk cruzer fit.

P.S. can you help me with my question?
July 29, 2012 11:08PM
Well, I think the instructions at http://projects.doozan.com/debian/ could be adapted to do the job of installing debian if you already have a working uboot. Let me take a look at it tomorrow and see. Maybe they would work just fine as is, I don't know.

What process did you use to install uboot on your PP4? Every time I reboot, it stops working and I have to reinstall uboot.
July 30, 2012 04:43AM
I think the instructions will overwrite my ALARM uBoot, and since its a V4, that is not a really good idea.
I've used the process outlined in: .
Keep in mind, this installs an ALARM uBoot, and not Jeff/Davy.
July 30, 2012 07:52AM
I used the same instructions and the boot doesn't stick.

I agree the script would not be something you'd want to run as is. I'm going to look at it and see if I can get it to do the install of debian without the uboot reinstall. No clue yet.

Something else that looks interesting is this piece that talks about installing from another distro. Haven't looked at it in detail yet tho.

http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/armel/apds03.html.en

I should tell you, I'm pretty much a noob, so don't hold your breath.
July 30, 2012 02:30PM
Have you tried a new USB stick?
Also, I think that the ALARM uBoot and Jeff's uBoot are different.
Debian boots a uImage and uInitrd whereas ALARM only boots uImage.

But I think I need an experts opinion :)
Alas, I don't think any expert is reading the forum ATM.
July 30, 2012 08:18PM
I've tried lots of different sticks, doesn't seem to to make a difference.

I'm trying the Arch to Debian trick now on my dockstar (PP4 not working right). I'll let you know how it goes.
July 31, 2012 08:25PM
Well, duduke, it looked promising, but I couldn't get it to work. About halfway thru, the characters displayed went a bit wacky, like they shifted into a the symbols set, and I couldn't tell what was going on so I gave up.
August 02, 2012 12:11PM
That's OK, thanks anyway.
I will try to load Davy's experimental uBoot for the PPV4.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.