Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

nsa325 v2 "formatting"

Posted by Carlo 
nsa325 v2 "formatting"
November 23, 2019 01:27PM
Hi
it's been a while i enjoyed playing with my kirkwood so i've forgotten everything;
my issue is rather simple: some packages like apache2 are missing dependencies and this broke even ftp connections
since i've been trying hard to fix it, even by adding newer repos, i guess the easiest solution is to format and reinstall debian, just i don't remember how to do it
and above all if i have do it via serial cable or i can just unpack the linux-5.3.2-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 in the /boot directory of the hard disk where debian is running
sorry for the silly request
Re: nsa325 v2 "formatting"
November 23, 2019 06:09PM
Carlo,

> since i've been trying hard to fix it, even by
> adding newer repos, i guess the easiest solution
> is to format and reinstall debian, just i don't
> remember how to do it
> and above all if i have do it via serial cable

No serial cable needed.

> i can just unpack the
> linux-5.3.2-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 in the
> /boot directory of the hard disk where debian is
> running

Not like that. If certain packages have dependencies problem, then it is Debian package system that needs to be fixed. And you cannot just extract the kernel tarball, you would need to install it with dpkg.

I would recommend that you create a new Debian rootfs one USB using Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 from the release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Scrolldown to

Updated 25 Aug 2019:

Basic Debian buster Kirkwood rootfs for most Kirwood plugs:

- tarball size: 209M
- install size: 536M
- The init system used in this rootfs is sysvinit . To boot with systemd, see note 2 below.
- Installed packages: nano, avahi, ntp, busybox-syslogd (log to RAM), htop, isc-dhcp-client, dialog, bzip2, nfs server/client, iperf, ethtool, sysvinit-core, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils, u-boot-tools, and mtd-utils.
- see LED controls in /etc/rc.local, and /etc/init.d/halt
- see some useful aliases in /root/.profile
- root password: root

Download at Dropbox:

Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

md5:
cd8ad170aa1a9fdc2a0a1c43ab1c0721
sha256:
8ccbbced367b4c2bf3728262e882f8232aff0fecd1c0c767219a0cab49a0b9bf

And remember to check the hash of what you download, as always.

After you create this rootfs, you can plug it it in and it will boot (if you have installed my released u-boot for this box here: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 27, 2019 01:16AM
thank you for your answer, i didn't remember i had to follow the topic to be notified

do you think it is worth trying to jump from stretch to buster before replacing the rootfs?
November 27, 2019 03:50AM
Carlo,

> do you think it is worth trying to jump from
> stretch to buster before replacing the rootfs?

Yes! use buster rootfs to save time. There is no stuctrural difference in my Kirkwood rootfs, so use the latest is better.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 27, 2019 09:11AM
alas i cannot even do apt update: i get "indentation error" and other nice stuff
so i gotta go for the for the erasure.. just i noticed that according to /etc/fstab my rootfs should be an ext4.. is it an issue?
November 27, 2019 05:14PM
Carlo,

> so i gotta go for the for the erasure.. just i
> noticed that according to /etc/fstab my rootfs
> should be an ext4.. is it an issue?

Not an issue. You can change it to ext4 after you've booted into Debian.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 01, 2019 02:33PM
thank you very much bodhi
i've successfully installed everything, though i forgot to name the hd "rootfs".....

now i have issues with vsftpd.. but i hope i can find clues on the internet
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.