Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ZyXEL NSA320 install from scratch

Posted by r9brian 
ZyXEL NSA320 install from scratch
July 24, 2012 09:23PM
Guys

I recently purachsed a NSA320 and would like to try out your Resuce System. I am interested in having control of the Hard Drives in the system, specifically disabling the drive "head parking" feature on Western Digital and Seagate drives. (I am hoping to use the hdparm program)

My Question: The uboot configuration does not specifically name the NSA320. I am unsure of the procedure. Could you tell me the steps to install "Rescue" on a NSA320 that I have taken right out of the box?

Thanks in advance for helping a "n00b" It should get you brownie points with the man upstairs(whomever you believe is up there :-) )
eas
Re: ZyXEL NSA320 install from scratch
October 21, 2012 02:19AM
Can I just add a "me too."

I'd appreciate any specific guidance on getting the rescue setup installed on an NSA320.
October 21, 2012 11:35AM
Hi @ both eas and r9brian...

Installation by my method:
1. requires a serial cable,
2. replaces the stock uboot w/ one that I created
3 removes (perhaps permanently?) the stock firmware (I've never tried putting the stockware back in flash, it might be possible - but I have no interest in it)
4. requires you to know some Linux and command line basics...
5. requires you to assume the basic risks inherent in such a practice...

=====================================================
May 13, 2013 08:12AM
Hi guys,

by 'his method', davy is referring to this post, but seeing how old this post is, you probably know that already.

Myself, I am at the point where I can boot from a USB-drive (but not just any drive; one is working, another isn't; furthermore, it does not seem to want to acquire an ip address all the time ...). Booting the exact same image from HDD is not possible though, but I believe that is is a problem of the drive. I need to do more testing.

So, if we all work together, maybe we can describe the process together with all the nooks and crannies like which drives work all in one place.

---
Standart ist der Standardfehler
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.