Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recovery System ready for use

Posted by Jeff 
Re: Recovery System ready for use
June 03, 2012 03:38PM
You may want to try the 2.8.1 rescue system

It will boot on nearly any kirkwood machine and it recognizes that arcNumber.

=====================================================
June 03, 2012 04:01PM
So I really did a mistake when I installed Rescue System V2 ?

I thought it worked with arcNumber 3089

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896 ( "with support for the new arcNumber (Dockstar & GoFlex Net)" )

When I tried to boot up with my USB Key the led (on the USB Stick) is blinking and the led from the Goflex is blinking orange a little after that. Then nothing ...

I don't know how the boot process works exactly. I will buy an USB serial adapter. I think there is no other solutions ... Or is he ?
June 03, 2012 05:36PM
Personally, I would have turned on Netconsole access before attempting that installation.

Yes, if it does not boot, serial access is the best choice now.

June 03, 2012 06:21PM
FYI for the usb cable I bought 2 of These and once I found the right driver and did a little soldering they worked great.

I also bought a bunch of These and installed one right in the box, and put a standard mini stereo headphone jack (from radio shack) on the end of the wire and can serial in whenever I need to.
June 04, 2012 01:18AM
Yes I should have turned on netconsole before ...

But that's not a problem, using a serial cable is simple enough ^^

The kirkwoods devices are not easy to break or to brick I should say.

It's a shame that a lot of theses tutorials are not descriptive enough, and not linked together in a coherent way.

And making it to the end without breaking anything is difficult.

Is there a new script (that flash the latest Uboot and install a s-ata arcNumber 3089 compatible kernel) on the way ?

If not I will take this opportunity to do it myself based on jeff doozan's script. (At least for Uboot, It's very frustrating to flash uboot to see that you have to flash it again but another way ...)
June 04, 2012 02:45AM
UBoot installation:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,6965,8189#msg-8189

Kernel:
I don't think it is in the main line yet for GoFlex Home/Net.
June 04, 2012 04:05AM
They are the new default ? So I already have the last uboot ...

How the rescue system work ? What kind of uboot environment modification is he doing that prevent me to boot from USB ?

Is this the wanted behavior ? (something like defaulting to the rescue, I don't know why I can't boot actually ...)
June 04, 2012 06:23AM
The rescue system is really just a simple Linux rootfs+kernel that has enough capabilities/utils to fix many things that could break in a normal distro. It also has utils for preparing drives for use.

The uboot bootcmd can be defined in such a way that it should first try to boot from SATA, if no sata is present then it fals back to USB. If no USB then rescue system which is in NAND flash.

There is a kernel package that works perfectly w GoFlex. Find it by following the link in my sig/signature.

June 15, 2012 09:55AM
I don't know why but uboot was corrupt or at least not able to boot after I installed the old rescue system V2 ... To recover I used a serial cable and I upgraded uboot with the tftp method.

Now it's working perfectly ... So I don't really know what appended but this old rescue system seems a little dangerous nowadays.

I will try to install Rescue 2.8 now that I have an upgraded uboot.
June 15, 2012 11:29AM
IMHO, the V2.8.1 is just fine, and has performed perfectly for me on the 4 mach-types that I've tried it on.

Make sure you follow the flashing commands symbol-for-symbol.

The V3.0 is neither polished nor finished, though it has a few extra things in it (inadyn, parted) that could be backported to a possible V2.8.2.

March 16, 2013 09:59PM
Will this rescue system work on Pogoplug Mobile? or we do have one for it?
(Not sure if this is the right place, so I posted it on another thread also.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 10:03PM by twinclouds.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.