Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3.0.42+ multi-boot Kernel and config

Posted by gnexus 
3.0.42+ multi-boot Kernel and config
October 27, 2012 08:42PM
Contrary to what guillame may assume I still plan to contribute to the platform. I actually have a lot more time to do that now that the a10linux site has closed. I think most people here would agree that this type of work is more beneficial to the community than answering support queries at a10linux.org.

Here is the kernel config for the latest 3.0.42+ kernel. It supports all the modules that the previous 3.0.39+ did. It also has the framebuffer console built as a module, and it has the improved Mali support that linux-sunxi has provided in their latest kernel source. SATA and wemac also work better.

A compiled 3.0.42+ kernel and uInitrd with multi-boot support is available here.

sha256sum: de46a441aae393f42632752a67b58b166e2a997bed6a45ec7510094af428d1e4

Installation instructions are in the README and in this thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:37AM by gnexus.
Claudio
Re: 3.0.42+ multi-boot Kernel and config
October 29, 2012 11:24AM
tested but Mele does not start.
your 3.0.39+ is OK... everything works. But i got problems with this one.

Cannot see debug via UART (doesn't have). Can you check better this kernel release?

Thank you
Claudio
October 29, 2012 12:15PM
It was tested and works well on Mele A2000 v1.3. I'm going to try to get it tested on an A10 tablet today.

If you post bug reports you must provide more information:
  • Which Mele version?
  • Which uboot version?

The multi-boot kernel is intended to work in conjunction with the multi-boot uboot.

Cannot see debug via UART (doesn't have).

Mele has an easily accessible UART. That is the primary reason to buy the device. The USB serial adapter cable costs €2.
If you don't have the cable you should really buy one now! Netconsole looks like it is never coming to Allwinner uboot. So the serial cable is essential.
October 29, 2012 10:48PM
You love me gnexus, i know it ;-)
Before i return to my company full time, i just want to make sure you are not going to (re)flush this great platform for a guiness in one week. That's why i'm still here.

I have played with xorg on ubuntu quantal tonight (working great). There's just a little patch around the xf86-video-mali-0.0.1.
in mali_fbdev.c on pScrn init/close to manage the new format and it's compiling properly now.
This way it's possible to have a vanilla armhf ubuntu 12.10 with the compiled xorg mali driver.
If you are planning to build a proper image of it (with nand install), i can post it asap somewhere.

Regards,
October 30, 2012 12:23AM
guillaume,

PLEASE post your ubuntu 12.10 armhf + xf86 mali support image !!! That would be superfantabulous!!!! (This newbie would really appreciate it!)
October 31, 2012 12:31PM
@guillaume

Not sure if I understand about the patch. The patch is for the kernel driver, or xorg userspace? If it is for the kernel and helps a lot then I will try to update it. If it is for xorg userspace then can't the pkg itself get built?

The only work on the SD images I'm doing is to update the existing ones. For Ubuntu that is 12.04 LTS. If you have drivers or pkgs. that will help with that then please u/l them and I will incorporate them into the SD image.
Henrik Nordström
Re: u-boot Netconsole
November 07, 2012 02:55AM
gnexus
Netconsole looks like it is never coming to Allwinner uboot.

It's there.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.