Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Offering free hosting for the community

Posted by The-Compiler 
Offering free hosting for the community
October 29, 2012 09:06AM
Heya,

I know probably nobody knows me here, but I thought I'd offer something in return to this community for making my Mele work like it should.

since I have about 500 GB of free space on a server (100 Mbit, hosted in a datacentre) I thought I'd offer free hosting for Mele-related projects (images, ..., whatever). Just get in touch with me, and I'll give you an account.

Flo
Re: Offering free hosting for the community
October 29, 2012 09:38AM
Why does it take until after the a10linux.org site is gone for these types of offers to happen?

We had appeals for hosting support in the wiki there. That was the main page of the wiki, and was also on several web pages there ever since the site had opened. Nobody offered to help. Now it is too late. . . Everything got deleted when Kevin terminated his hosting account. I'm not going to go through all that again. But please feel free to mirror anything that's here.

Thanks for your support of Linux and the open source community!
Claudio
October 29, 2012 11:26AM
'gnexus' we can help you to rebuild the site, docs, uploads, ecc. ecc.
We can make a team if you need

Your support is very important!
Thank you
October 29, 2012 12:40PM
In email discussions with the hosting provider for a10linux.org they have informed me that they do indeed have automated backups available of the VPS. But they charge $120 per hour (for an undisclosed number of hours) to restore the backups. Then somebody would also need to pay for the hosting service that was previously paid for by Kevin, at least until the site was mirrored to a new provider. I'm waiting on an email reply from the senior management of the provider to see if they will agree to provide the backup restoration and hosting as a service to the open source community. But they are a huge provider and may require evidence of USA tax-exempt status as part of the agreement. I can't provide USA tax-exempt status.

Don't get your hopes up. . .

we can help you to rebuild the site, docs, uploads, ecc. ecc.

If you get a site up that is worthwhile, and not linux-sunxi, I will be more than happy to point the a10linux.org DNS at it. I would point back here to Jeff's site again, but that was just too confusing for everyone.
Claudio
October 29, 2012 12:49PM
According to the topic, "The-Compiler" can provide us a goot hosting (space & bandwidth) to include everything: site + files.
Could it be ok?

For a restore, i think we can upload again the files and do not pay for a restore service (too high cost)
October 29, 2012 01:26PM

For a restore, i think we can upload again the files

I already offered to upload the files here. I'm fairly certain Jeff will agree to that, at least temporarily until somebody can mirror them. But I can't put the site back up unless the hosting provider will restore the backup at no cost. Their customer service just emailed me back and said "no free hosting*," with the qualification that the senior managers need to reply about the backup and any further decisions. I'm still waiting on them to send that email so I can respond to it.

Hosting space and bandwidth is not much help now as the only thing left is the images.
Jeff has already said he can offer hosting:

Jeff
If anyone needs hosting for files < 100M, let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide space on this server.

I don't know about the bigger images, however. If Jeff does not have the space or bandwidth for multiple files I could always u/l them each individually until they are all mirrored . If I had more bandwidth I could put them on my FTP server. But that would totally kill my internet, as the u/l bandwidth is extremely low. Also, I will be at LinuxCon all next week. No final decisions will be made until I get back home on Nov. 13. I will discuss the situation with everybody there, such as the Linux Foundation and the principals in the major distros. I will listen to their comments. If any of them offer free hosting there may be some hope for a new site if others offer to make the web pages. But considering that Allwinner is not part of their community I would not have too high expectations. They might even recommend not to distribute the Allwinner-specific SD images. Who knows?

If nothing else the non-specific rootfs images will be made available somewhere, and the kernel and uboot will remain here.

Be patient. We'll see how it goes. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 02:05PM by gnexus.
Claudio
October 29, 2012 02:36PM
I got a small VPS, maybe we can use it.
But I want to wait other contributors' opinions about the topic. Ofc images are too big to upload on small VPS and we need other repos (git, dropbox, etc.)

Concerning Allwinner and their business, as an Open Source Community we can build an ARM-Linux site/forum/blog/wiki... more powerful, posting certified and tested how-tos... concerning Linux on ARM/embedded.

Maybe this could be a goal.
October 30, 2012 06:37AM
Please make armhf images with a working gui (LXDE, XFCE, etc.) available.

Cheers!
October 31, 2012 12:01PM

we can build an ARM-Linux site/forum/blog/wiki... more powerful, posting certified and tested how-tos... concerning Linux on ARM/embedded.

Already a major goal for me. There will eventually be a site started by me, and whoever else wants to join in, that is dedicated to GNU/Linux installation and usage on all ARM platforms that can boot GNU/Linux. I am going to be discussing that with many people at LinuxCon and ELCE next week, and try to get as many of them as possible involved with the project.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.