Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Welcome to the Allwinner A10 Forum - first post!

Posted by gnexus 
Welcome to the Allwinner A10 Forum - first post!
June 24, 2012 02:45PM
Welcome to the Allwinner A10 Forum

Thank you for joining in.

I, and a small group of Linux developers, hackers, and enthusiasts who are trying to get GNU/Linux distributions working well on our A10 devices created this forum as a place to improve the GNU/Linux experience on Allwinner (sunxi) SoCs.

We need people to assist us in creating stable and easy to install Linux distributions that function well on the A10. This forum is not specific to any particular distro, but we have found over a long time frame that so far Debian has the best overall support on the ARM platforms. We are open to any and all distributions and suggestions. If you find something that works better than Debian please let us know.

Our goal is to get GNU/Linux distributions working well on our A10 devices. Android is not GNU/Linux. So we would kindly ask that Android users take their discussions elsewhere. However, Android users are more than welcome to use our rootfs images for a chroot. There will be a specific thread for Android chroot questions. If you have problems using our GNU/Linux images please use that thread for questions about Android chroot. Please note that we can't really answer questions pertaining to getting an Android chroot going. But if you have questions about our GNU/Linux releases after you have chrooted we will try to help - if they do not pertain to Android. Thanks.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

First post!

I've always wanted to do that!
(No. I'm lying. I HATE wasting my time on forums. I lurked on this site for over a year or two never having a reason to post.)

Anyway, welcome to this new A10 forum. It was created due to a current lack of information. I have time to start this forum right now while a kernel is compiling. So lets get some info on here to help everybody get going. We really need a wiki. We need a volunteer to create one. But even this forum will do better that what else is currently out there right now for the A10. Please respond if you would like to help on a wiki or become a moderator for this forum.

I am waiting on an A10 kernel to finish compiling on a brand new Debian armhf buildroot on my A10 tablet. (No. I do not have the Debian booting natively yet, unfortunately. But a chroot to Debian from the working Ubuntu image works fine.) To give people an idea of the speed of the A10 it took less than an hour to get the kernel image built as a uImage. That is at least several times faster than my Kirkwood-based GoFlex or Dockstar, and at a lower 1GHz compared to the 1.2 GHz of the Kirkwood. The A10 is rated at up to 1.5GHz. Supposedly the tablet is 1.2GHz, but the config file for it has it clocked at 1008 MHz. Maybe Android can clock it faster after it's booted. I don't know. But Linux will use the boot clock speed. Another comparison on compilation speed is that is about the same as my Intel Atom netbook. So that is quite good for ARM!

root@T-01:# make modules_install
INSTALL sound/soc/sun4i/spdif/sun4i_spdma.ko
DEPMOD  3.0.8+
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gpio_aw.ko needs unknown symbol gpio_aw_classdev_unregister
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gpio_aw.ko needs unknown symbol gpio_aw_classdev_register
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/sun4i-vibrator.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/sun4i-vibrator.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/mcs7830.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/mcs7830.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/sitronix_st15xx_ts.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/sitronix_st15xx_ts.ko needs unknown symbol register_early_suspend
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gt801_2plus1.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gt801_2plus1.ko needs unknown symbol unregister_early_suspend
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gt801_2plus1.ko needs unknown symbol register_early_suspend
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/gt801_2plus1.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/rtl8150.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/asix.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/asix.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/usbnet.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/usbnet.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/mma7660.ko needs unknown symbol hwmon_device_register
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/mma7660.ko needs unknown symbol hwmon_device_unregister
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/tea5761.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/qf9700.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0
WARNING: /lib/modules/3.0.8+/qf9700.ko needs unknown symbol __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1

Oh no! I wasn't actually in the Debian chroot! I was still in Ubuntu! :o (where is that Debian chroot prompt?)
The kernel built successfully once I was actually in the chroot. The build went very fast compared to Kirkwood!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 01:43PM by gnexus.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.