Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We need Trinity Desktop for the A10 image

Posted by gnexus 
We need Trinity Desktop for the A10 image
June 26, 2012 09:21PM
LXDE is too lightweight. KDE4 is a big pig (but fine for higher powered systems).

No other current desktops seem to cut it yet. We need TDE (KDE3)!

It works great on the A10 in Debian Squeeze or Ubuntu Oneiric. But we want Sid, or at least Ubuntu 12.04. . .

Please somebody compile it for those platforms using armv7 armhf. TDE source is here at http://www.trinitydesktop.org/releases/3.5.13/

Native compilation is always best. Otherwise use crosstool. Don't use CodeSourcery Lite or other toolcchains that don't support vfp.

Please help out.

Thanks!
Re: We need Trinity Desktop for the A10 image
June 27, 2012 12:39AM
I had Squeeze running on my tablet as a chroot with TDE (KDE3). It worked fine, but the rootfs had some issues because the rootfs was not clean. The rootfs was imported from my N800, and it had a few N800 binaries that were not installed as packages. Once I got the tablet booting natively with Ubuntu I deleted Squeeze.

Since TDE is supported in Squeeze I am going to create a new Squeeze rootfs to experiment with. Squeeze does not support armv7, or armhf, however.

Another option is to give Fedora a try. TDE is supported in Fedora 17 - the latest version. F17 has both an armv5 and an armv7 hf port. The drawback to Fedora, however is that third-party multimedia support is lacking under the arm architecture. That is why I have always used Debian on my ARM devices.

Another option could possibly be multilib armv5 for TDE, and armv7 hf for everything else. The kernel has multilib support.

The ideal option would be to compile TDE for Sid. But Sid changes often, and Squeeze is a bit old.

Ideas are welcome. Hopefully updated TDE binaries will be coming soon somehow. What about TDE nightly builds?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.