Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Libre Renegade ROC-RK3328-CC

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Libre Renegade ROC-RK3328-CC
February 25, 2023 03:16PM
-edited-

Delivered today: a Libre Computer Board Renegade (ROC-RK3328-CC).
This could be perfect for an extra light desktop.

As a lot of you know, I am not advanced in Linux and don't want to waste experienced people's time (I'm paying it backwards LOL), but any fun lovers out there, maybe this is fun. I suppose Stellarium is already going to break my machine LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RT6H8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?

If I had any Xacto knives handy I'd cut holes in the cardboard box it came in and use it!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2023 06:11PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Libre Renegade ROC-RK3328-CC
March 10, 2023 11:05PM
I thought I was secure in my manhood, but after seeing this cutie I'm full of Confucius LOL:

https://www.amazon.com/FriendlyElec-NanoPi-NEO3-Rockchip-Computer/dp/B08D351484/ref=d_pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_vft_none_sccl_3_7/137-4787473-0125623?

As an afterthought, I'm not one to care anything about
"keeping up with the Jones's", but this thing is so cute I'll sleep on the idea of using this as my trusty "pilot light" computer, and this can be the one piece of my home system that's always on. From here use those smart outlets like Gravelrash showed us, but I'd like mine wired and haven't found any.

But any media creator has a situation (except maybe Mac M2 stuff and I'm a ways from that) where most computers turned off are still drawing 10 watts or 5 with sleep, many devices wireless including routers, and anytime copyrighted stuff is directly exposed to a router there's reason to be more tiered, so your WAN outer turns off and the LAN system (at this point it could be switches because DCHP should have the IPs groovy.

While we're here, one area Windows is good (or was because devCon is harder to use lately) is how thourally wirelss turns off certain methods. Linus seems more challengint o me (but some of that could be my disaster with Realtek can turn off wireless and it's really off, seems there's at lest two separate mechanisms going on with wireless.

Well I got some Cadbury chocolate easter eggs so see ya LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2023 11:33PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 11, 2023 12:58AM
Joey,

> I thought I was secure in my manhood, but after
> seeing this cutie I'm full of Confucius LOL:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/FriendlyElec-NanoPi-NEO3-Rockchip-Computer/dp/B08D351484/ref=d_pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_vft_none_sccl_3_7/137-4787473-0125623?

The form factor is so nice looking! but likely to have a heat problem, it will run very hot. So prepare to break warranty and drill about at at least 60 holes on the case to ventilate :) there is some plastic drill bits that wont break the case.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 12, 2023 01:30AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joey,
>
> > I thought I was secure in my manhood, but after
> > seeing this cutie I'm full of Confucius LOL:
> >
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/FriendlyElec-NanoPi-NEO3-Rockchip-Computer/dp/B08D351484/ref=d_pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_vft_none_sccl_3_7/137-4787473-0125623?
>
> The form factor is so nice looking! but likely to
> have a heat problem, it will run very hot. So
> prepare to break warranty and drill about at at
> least 60 holes on the case to ventilate :) there
> is some plastic drill bits that wont break the
> case.

Yeah really, anything plugged-in IS the heatsink LOL. Some kind of external mu metal wrapped around seems proper, are there's some other variables I kick around.

Gigabit networking many times drops to much lower speed when saving energy etc. I don't know if USB 3 can do that.

Lastly, if there were JB Weld in aluminum formulas I'd have a field day making heatsinks. Also ways to have passive cooling that's most effective is worth a search (note to self). Some container that's shaped maybe like a little 2" square that's shaped like a little nuclear reactor and can convect heat better.

The day just started and we lost an hour here!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 13, 2023 04:44PM
For what it's worth I've made a lot of useful stuff with JB Weld. In a way this and regular epoxy were many people's first taste of manual 3D printing!

So having seen a very long list of JBWeld products with no mention of aluminum formula, i Suggestion Box'ed this to them:

"
I want to Suggestion Box a new product if you don't already make it: an Aluminum formula for making heatsinks and that kind of thing. even better would be a non-conductive formula so we could use them in little computers to save energy without so many fans. hopefully saves lot of energy and the world is greener (plusses are plusses).
Have a good one,
Joey's squirrel Bro

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 04:51PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 17, 2023 01:53PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joey,
>
> > I thought I was secure in my manhood, but after
> > seeing this cutie I'm full of Confucius LOL:
> >
> >
>
> The form factor is so nice looking! but likely to
> have a heat problem, it will run very hot. So
> prepare to break warranty and drill about at at
> least 60 holes on the case to ventilate :) there
> is some plastic drill bits that wont break the
> case.

One of the headlines not awfully long ago, about a Swiss data center that uses circuits in oil to transfer computer-related heat to a swimming pool next door! Supposedly it uses circuits in oil to transfer. My first visual was to picture X-mas trees with ornaments which are oil-filled and contain an RPi LOL. What exactly would I hope to accomplish? That's the $0.64 question.

For what it's worth, I auditioned Armbian's XFCE, Gnome and Cinnamon iterations and while Gnome and Cinnamon are works of art, both are notably impacted by the apparent lack of video hardware acceleration or whatever makes it look that way. Also Gnome and Cinnamon cruised at 8+ watts and peaking around 10.2 watts, by contrast XFCE had Reaper running with processing at 8 watts and 6 watts cruise!

Also contrasting, after shutdown both Gnome and Cinnamon drew 1.5 watts and XFCE: 0.5!

So of the Armbian offerings I really like XFCE and will build something off that. Gnome was 2nd place for me but the graphics flashed with reaper running and I couldn't apt-get my way into a solution. I know on Windows machines sometimes installing VNC can get some codecs and some driver support the easy way, sometimes.

I've got Android, LibreElec and Raspbian to try yet.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.