Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what do you use to access your *Plug?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
what do you use to access your *Plug?
March 22, 2015 11:51PM
In addition to a great question asked by Gravelrash, I couldn't help but ask, how you access your Pogo-or-thereabouts plug?

I've been using a Windows 7 x64 machine that's 100 watts, into a router and to whatever IP the router assigns it, using puTTY or WinSCP.
I've tried using any of the ThinClient computers from Goodwill and haven't yet been able. They come with Windows CE 5 and 6 and some with specialized Linux. For that matter, one member here said he uses his Pogoplug as home DNS and i'd like to understand how to set that p or resources direction, because I don't "get DNS" but this ThinClients and all their connecting methods are finicky about making sure you enter something.

NOW I'm off topic and out of line LOL But here is a typical list of the options a ThinClient uses to connect:
Microsoft Remote Desktop Client Connection
Citrix ICA Client Connection
TeemTalk Terminal Emulation Client Connection
Neoware Dial-Up PPP Client Connection
Microsoft VPN Client Connection

I don't suppose any of those would work, do you know? I hope I haven't worn out my welcome. Thin Clients may have worn out mine, however! But yeah, when using a 5-watt Pogoplug, I like the idea of a 5-watt Windows CE (or DamnSmallLinux) controller with easy to use GUI, then turn it off, and let the 5-watt wonder do its magic :)
Re: what do you use to access your *Plug?
March 22, 2015 11:58PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02,

> Microsoft Remote Desktop Client Connection

Is what you want :) working very reliably for me many years.

Install:

xrdp, lightVNC, xfce (or lxde).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 12:00AM by bodhi.
March 23, 2015 12:11AM
Bless yer heart :-) I'll start organizing this and roll up my sleeves ASAP!
Attached is a picture taken the other day, showing why I have the jar of rubber bands on the desk.
Thanks a lot! I'll go crash, another good day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 12:14AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - Wires800.jpg (422.6 KB)
March 23, 2015 12:55AM
You should not expect snappy responses from the Pogoplug while connecting using remote desktop. The Pogoplug has too little memory for it! but it is torelable. As long as you don't try to surf the net heavily or watching streaming video on the Pogo xfce desktop :) then it's fine.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 23, 2015 04:34AM
I use linux console to access my plugs - or when i baulk them i use "screen" on the serial console
March 23, 2015 05:28AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use linux console to access my plugs - or when i
> baulk them i use "screen" on the serial console

SSH is the only thing I use actually :) The xfce desktop on these plugs are there for my relatives and friends who can only use computers with a GUI.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 23, 2015 06:06AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
for my relatives
> and friends who can only use computers with a GUI.

I know that one well!
March 23, 2015 08:00AM
Almost always just ssh and sftp. Occasionally Webmin.
a giant leap forward
March 23, 2015 05:51PM
Today is not only the first time I got into Pogo with any of the ThinClients, I've gotten in with 3 of 4 and expect the 4th to be easy.
So far the way is to use a browser > Webmin, but if that works the rest should be easy.

For what it's worth, the Thin Clients are pretty straighforward, but one, the 10Zig, has this listed in Program Files (it's still root-less linux):
ICA
XenDesktop
internet Browser
Propalms
VNC
XWindow
Shell Script
SSGD-EE
Putty
NoMachine NX
Quest vWorkspace
Ericom Web Connect
VMWare View
2X Client
Blaze
RDesktop
Leostream Connect
Kaviza
IDS Client
I can only guess this was a troubleshooter's client. No mention of this model at Parky towers (10Zig model 67.xx), but it's really neat.

And furthermore, of all the Thin Clients I scored, the Neoware are the only ones I'll avoid in the future. Whomever designed those must be out of their skulls lol.

But yeah, any suggestions I'm all over it, and I can't thank 'yall enough. I still see the heartbeat of my home cloud to be a headless Linux box, pogo or otherwise (heh, other-Wyse).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 06:01PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 23, 2015 09:05PM
I only use ssh to pogoplug but sometimes I'm lazy and use rootfs as a shared folder in windows. In regards to DNS you can install dnsmasq and setup as dns or adblock for your entire household. I never get a single ad in my browser.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.