Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repurpose PC power supply for Pogo Farm?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Repurpose PC power supply for Pogo Farm?
April 21, 2015 12:34PM
The thought just occurred to me, IF I knew what I was doing with common power supplies that I have laying around here:

1. The built-in fan could be directed to (or from) a little box of hard drives, say for instance 4 x 3.5" SATAs
2. Power jacks are right there for hard drives
3. As Pogoplug seems to have its power supply with a nice, clean jack on its motherboard, that could be reconnected to the larger power supply not only for efficiency (might not though) it could ensure a pogo had zero power when you wanted it that way. And the handy main switch on the power supply for a storm or something, even one central point for surge protection and noise filtering.

Yes if i had the budget I'd get 4 x 1.5 TB USB hard drives and piggyback 2-4 Pogoplugs and be done with it, but there's such a wealth of connectors to salvage off even a dead PC power supply, that's what's piquing my thoughts at the moment.

Not sure how common PC power supplies work though, and it could involve some prohibitive impasse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-update-
Attached is a picture of the power supply connector that plugs into a PC motherboard. The guy in the video used a wire to connect a couple of them so power would be available at the desired tap. As for ME, this is looking like one of the most useful projects in recent memory.

Because of this it might not only be possible to make an array of nice, clean switches for that connector, even do that with a socket that can be reused to another power supply but even control ons and offs with a Raspberry Pi. I have no desire to get a Pi but others might see the light here.

Here's the video that got me thinking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2aSjbP4DUc

In the end I can't say if this is efficient or not without testing (and that won't happen real soon), but again those usually do have a built-in fan and I'm reasonably sure the electricity is safe from that side of the power supply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-updater- I'm relatively on fire with the of a plug that mates with a power supplys motherboard connector, has item switches and one main switch for the green and black - big enough to house little circuit breakers. If they already make those, I need a few! If they don't make them, I might get around to making some for fun. Too cool.

Have a nice day, I'll get off this computer and out for some air.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 03:48PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - connector.jpg (41.2 KB)
Re: Repurpose PC power supply for Pogo Farm?
May 16, 2015 12:12PM
I have set up a two-server "farm" inside of a 1U rack-mount box. Here is my story...

I purchased a Broken Linksys NSS4000. After a lot of testing and frustration, I ended up trashing the guts
except for the internal fans. I put in 4 drives in the bays and put in two dockstars (near the internal fans)

I bought a sub $40 power supply (From NewEgg N82E16817342052) and four sub $4 SATA to USB converters.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C8MM7E

I powered the internal fans with 5 volts (12 volts was too loud). I powered the drives with 5V and 12V
(I did not use the 3.3 volts) and of course I powered the Dockstars with 12 volts.

I had to hot-glue cat5 RJ-45 jacks in place where the two NIC ports go. The PSU fit nicely,
but I had to glue it in place (because the proprietary original PSU did not have standard mounts)

Everything fits nicely and works beyound my expectations.

Notes: If you cut off the motherboard connector from the power supply, you will need to short the
green to a black wire to turn it on, plus you have to short the 3.3V sense wire to a 3.3v wire.

Each of the two dockstars is set up with RAID 0 (striping for speed) on two 2TB drives each so each Dockstar has a fast
4TB of storage.

Each Dockstar boots off of a cheap 8GB drive that I got from bestbuy when they were on sale:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cheapass_flash_drive/4796606.p?id=1218529585580

I boot up Bodhi's Debian non-FDT OS from these forums (I am using 3.16 kernel) This was real easy to set up.

I am using BitTorrent Sync to mirror folders on these two servers and with other things (so I have my own dropbox thing)
Re: Repurpose PC power supply for Pogo Farm?
May 18, 2015 04:18PM
WyoGuy wow, that's so inspiring I think I read it five times over and wished you lived next door instead of the current meth lab lol

For now could I ask more about the 3.3V sense wire? What's it do?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.