Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virtualizing a small Linux device like Pogoplug?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Virtualizing a small Linux device like Pogoplug?
June 22, 2015 01:49PM
I got VMware the other day and am surprised to learn you can make a VM (Virtual Machine) out of OS/hardware combinations by IP'ing into them using the included VMware vCenter Converter. Additionally you can make VMs out of a system ghost that's been made with Acronis TrueImage, Symantec and other stuff.

One attempt into doing my Debian PogoPro and got the error Failed to connect to VMware vCenter Converter Standalone and think it might be because Pogo isn't playing nice on port 56789. And I'm not saying for sure VMware will reenact ARM architecture, but if so this sounds educational me thinks. It may also be possible to get Acronis to make an image out of the USB stick and go from there as well. Dunno.

And a severe storm moving in...

Thoughts good or bad, do tell...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 01:58PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Virtualizing a small Linux device like Pogoplug?
June 22, 2015 02:42PM
you would be better served running Qemu as it has better support for ARM hardware
Re: Virtualizing a small Linux device like Pogoplug?
June 22, 2015 03:00PM
Joey,

> One attempt into doing my Debian PogoPro and got
> the error Failed to connect to VMware vCenter
> Converter Standalone
and think it might be
> because Pogo isn't playing nice on port 56789. And
> I'm not saying for sure VMware will reenact ARM
> architecture

I don't think this would work. I don't recall VMware can emulate ARM.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
yeah, Qemu
June 23, 2015 12:17AM
-edited-out geomagnetic issues-

Thanks for the head's up on Qemu. I took a look at the website and it seems perfect - not only that but I was just sitting here making VMs out of many ISOs on hand and remembered about Damn Small Linux being able to run in Windows. When i clicked on the bat file it fired-up as expected in Windows, but is encapsulated in QEMU!. That was a revelation.

To think i'm already running it takes the learning curve anxiety out of it. I'll take a break for a little bit.

If any of you want to figure out how to get QEMU in a Pogo plug I'll be yer guinea pig :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 02:20PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.