Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making directory/folder icons for NAS visible to any OS

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Making directory/folder icons for NAS visible to any OS
July 27, 2015 12:34AM
For headless computers like Pogoplug, using Samba (or if you have a better idea), do any of you have NAS that is accessed by different operating systems yet have icons that can be seen from any of the big three OSs?

Like a lot of people, I beta test software for Mac and PC, and with new releases and all that it gets confusing real quick without familiar GUI icons.

For example: I have a directory or external hard drive called Storage and one dir/folder is called Incoming, and my icon is called arrowdown.ico - would i use something similar to a Desktop.ini in Windows or is there another way?

Much obliged in advance. And later on in retrospect.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 12:38AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Making directory/folder icons for NAS visible to any OS
July 27, 2015 01:18AM
Joey,

Look in /usr/share/icons. That's the location of your desktop icons.

IIRC, you can also install xfce4-goodies to get the desktop themes. If that's youre looking for.

Usually, after install themes, you'll have all kinds of nice icons to choose from. In xfce you can select a specific icon for a shortcut that are on your desktop, or a specific icon for drives/files that appear inside file manager.

I post this purely from memory long ago :) so names might not be accurate. You can search for xfce packages to install like this
apt-cache search xfce
and then get more details for a i package:
apt-cache show xfce4-goodies

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 29, 2015 01:29PM
Would they show up even if XFCE wasn't running? Either way is olkay with me but that's a plateau I've been stuck on for a while.

If my understanding is correct, the XFCE Desktop you have for Pro is off until a person tries to remote desktop in, then it gets activated, and stays on even after Remote Desktop leaves, until reboot (?). I'd never tried just login out and see if Samba still works from another location.

And that's why i'd asked - and while I'm at it, for a Windows guy like me, is Linux in some ways comparable to DOS, that you have a highly-evolved, updated shells such as XFCE and KDE for your GUI part of it?

Ignorance is bliss, and of course I'm happy and time flies by (LOL), but in the wake of my ToDo list now at "hard drive acquisitions" I've got to figure out which Pogoplugs do torrents and which run home NAS. Oh, so if there's a Pogoplug that's just headless and no GUI shell, and it's just running Samba from webmin (you know), there's no way to insert icons in the Samba folder to be seen by other OSs?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
July 29, 2015 02:39PM
Joey,

> Ignorance is bliss, and of course I'm happy
> and time flies by (LOL), but in the wake of my
> ToDo list now at "hard drive acquisitions" I've
> got to figure out which Pogoplugs do torrents and
> which run home NAS. Oh, so if there's a Pogoplug
> that's just headless and no GUI shell, and it's
> just running Samba from webmin (you know), there's
> no way to insert icons in the Samba folder to be
> seen by other OSs?

I see where you're heading now! It is true when you run headless, there is no icons. But when you're connecting from another box, that box has to run a GUI, whether it's RDC or a Web brower, or Webmin, .... So those clients will have their own way of seeing the icons being served by the server. For each of these types of server, you would have to install something that run permanently in the server (xrdp/sessman, web server, or Webmin processes, respectively for those 3). And when you install these server daemons, they have their own way of using of icons from /usr/share/icons in the server, or they could use icons from some other directories.

When you browse a Samba share using OSX Finder, or Windows Explorer, the icons are actually from the client computers, corresponding to the types of files that they recognize.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.