Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PNY 32GB USB stick failed fast (update)

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
PNY 32GB USB stick failed fast (update)
September 02, 2015 11:42PM
I know this is trivial, as USB sticks fail, but cut to the chase, the kind folks at Best Buy exchanged my dead PNY Turbo 32GB for another, which they didn't have to do. Here at home I did a read-write test and it's significantly faster than the previous, so maybe I had a bad unit. Time will tell.

And I've got a feel-good story: a University professor of mine in somewhat advanced Windows saw I was low on jing and got me another USB stick, a 16GB PNY strongly resembling a Cruzer Fit. :-)

In conclusion: I have a word about PNY vs Sandisk USB sticks. In my case, both Pogoplugs use USB 2.0, and if you're getting USB 2.0 sticks, you can't go wrong with Sandisk, nor right with PNY. PNY 2.0 sticks are horrible! They're never fast, and error frequently, get hot easier and have extra slow write times. Even Sandisks I got at a gas station, they were some of the first USB sticks I ever started making a database of read and write times. At first i thought they were funny low, but in use Sandisk blows the doors off PNY.
As for USB sticks that are 3.0 installed into the 2.0 Pogoplug, PNY are real good, spiffy fast - can't speak about reliability but in the case of my failed 32GB 3.0 the read/write speeds were low to begin with and I suspect it's an occasional bad stick. Can't say about Sandisk but I don't fear buying any in the future.

When you're low on funds, there's places to save money and there's places not. Don't get PNY 2.0. Just don't.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 11:44PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.