Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Off-topic: Hard drive Recovery :-(

Posted by befuddled 
Off-topic: Hard drive Recovery :-(
November 02, 2015 08:47AM
Is there any reliable but cheap HDD recovery that anyone knows of? Like less than $500/-??

It was connected to my PogoPlug, and now it is "clicking". Am sure it needs HDD surgery to replace its heads.

Thanks ! all my photos and musicv is on this 2TB drive.
Re: Off-topic: Hard drive Recovery :-(
November 03, 2015 07:41PM
There's a lot of things you can try, this I know. If that were mine, I'd go with:

1. Switch power supplies - occasionally drives click because power supply slouching
2. Wrap the hard drive in plastic, place in freezer for an hour or two (heck, overnight), defrost and try again.

I dunno, it's rare you really lose a drive without being able to recover everything. You never know, could be someone's grounding nearby is whacking everything.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 04, 2015 02:37PM
a clicking hdd is usually recoverable if you remove the cover and gently assist the heads to the platter position - and i do mean gently

before you start make sure yo have a suitable sized disk with which to recover the data too
November 29, 2015 04:10AM
My solution to the clicking issue was to mount my drives in an external enclosure with a fan to cool the drives. So I suspect that the drives had been running hotter than they wanted to ...

Cheers

Don Charisma ... because anything is possible with Charisma

My blog - http://DonCharisma.org
Our commercial site - http://DonCharisma.com
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.