Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux media playing niceness settings on low power box?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Linux media playing niceness settings on low power box?
January 07, 2016 12:35AM
My favorite ThinClient is a 10Zig with 1.2 Ghz single core and 2 GB ram (VIA video chpset), and most usage is well within the limits.
However like most small processing boxes I run, VLC takes up way too much processing to even think of using, and MPlayer seems very close but could use a boost.
So tonight I discover an old workout video, and the audio isn't syncing too well. So I open Terminal and type: Top
It shows the process for mplayer is: 8344. So as a starter I try this in Terminal:

renice -14 -p 8344

It syncs far better for a while, then stops while it catches up with itself, and keeps going forward. I looked from Top again, and in addition to mplayer there's also an smplayer listed. So I wonder if one or more important than the other? In Windows you'd want to increase background processes, as that's where the transcoding is going on, but I'm not sure what a good policy is in Linux.

I don't expect the answer to involve additional questions, but for one: is there a way to re-nice 10 things at a time? I'd go for priority driven application launching on a couple of items. Nothing that extreme either, one or two down for your main app and everything else up one or two. As-is you can have a YouTube MP4 (thanks to 4K Video downloader) and if the window isn't big it'll play fine. But tutorials need to be fullscreen and that kind of thing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 12:40AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.