Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootable Windows USB on familiar devices?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Bootable Windows USB on familiar devices?
March 24, 2016 11:48PM
Blasphemy, heresy you cry! A bit perhaps, but bear with me a bit. There's an app called WinToUSB, that I was thunderstruck tonight getting Windows 7 (x86) to install and boot up my 10ZiG ThinClient. It works, but there's an important point to raise.

If you run WinToUSB to a USB 2.0 stick, it will take painful hours to finish, this on quadcore desktop. But it you install it to a USB 3.0 stick and using a USB 3.0 interface, here it wasn't long at all, trying to think but maybe 30 minutes.

Results, unbelievable, at first it took a while to boot after its internal configuring but reboots faster every time and I got the drivers onboard. This isn't meant to run permanently, but it'll be easier to compare Linux results I get since my Linuxes and windows are on very comparable PNY sticks.

That said, the next thing that crossed my mind is to try the seemingly unsupported Windows XP. This is an OS I know forward and backward but have no idea what would happen in an E02. Could be the ARM architecture not being x86 right there would fail this.

But to RDP to a headless Windows, I don't know what would happen. It sounds like something I have to try.If not egular XP maybe there's an embedded XP I might find in my travels.

As everyone knows, Windows XP is cruelly unsafe, insecure and unsupported, but for experimentation it can be whittled down to an extremely low footprint needing only 3rd party firewall (Net Limiter is awesome) and use a smart strategy to keep gremlins out.

Just thinking out loud, but for any of you who have x86 or x64 supported hardware and want to install Windows to a USB stick, like Hiren's but less controversial, this is the app, and a free version at that.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 11:52PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.