Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are Samsung SDHC cards decent?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Are Samsung SDHC cards decent?
May 14, 2016 12:07PM
Best Buy has a Samsung EVO+ 32GB MicroSDHC card that reads @ 80MB/s and writes @ 20MB/s for around $10.
I was thinking of using that in the tablet for general use and recovery options.

Though it couldn't hurt to check you for red flags.

-update- there's a difference between EVO and EVO+, and the reviews out there are fairly kind to the EVO+, so if reliability isn't an issue the specs are real nice for a tablet me thinks.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 03:57PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Under clinical party conditions
May 14, 2016 08:09PM
Okay I bought one. Wow. The CNET reviews of the Samsung states it has a much higher real-world read speed than it's own rating.

So... we have an 8GB drugstore SanDisk and a 32GB Samsung Evo+. Test copy to-&-fro speeds from a D-link router (DIR-857) known for overstating its USB 3.0 speed (by a long shot).

Desktop to router:
SanDisk drugstore = 7 MB/s
Samsung EVO+ = 9 MB/s

Router to desktop:
SanDisk drugstore = 15 MB/s
Samsung EVO+ = 17 MB/s

So there you have it - of course I'm going to test further on a faster dualcore laptop here with card slots, but it goes to show, NAS on a tiny linux router the difference between a sad drugstore SD card and a hyped-up mid-end model can be a difference of only 2 MB/s.

Laptop quick test over LAN
Laptop SD to Desktop:
SanDisk drugstore = 75 MB/s (!!!!!!!!)
Samsung EVO+ = 110 MB/s peak then 75 MB/s

Desktop to Laptop SD:
SanDisk drugstore = 7.5 MB/s
Samsung EVO+ = 8.5 MB/s

The price on the Samsung was still okay, so I'm not out anything, and I'll use the 32GB on the router (it has one SD and one USB 3.0 slot) and 8GB on the tablet. COOL ENOUGH!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 10:04PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Are Samsung SDHC cards decent?
May 18, 2016 08:19AM
what SDcard to USB adapter you used?

I suspect that the one used to connect it to the router isn't UHS I, while the SD card slot in the PC is UHS I or whatever.

Can you use the same adapter you used for the router on the laptop too?
Re: Are Samsung SDHC cards decent?
May 20, 2016 11:27AM
The Micro SD cards just had a regular SD card adapter to plug into a slot on the router and another slot on the laptop. At first I guessed the laptop @ 4GB RAM had cached it, because the first run was slower.

I have some homework to do on UHS 1 and other things, and next eBay order I'll get a micro SD-to-USB adapter to check things that way.

Until I get the adapters Gravelrash and Habbibie use, the question still in my mind is whether SD(etc)-cards are designed to run on at USB speeds or another? Lately we've seen SATAs and USB 3 running at lower than specified which points to bad industrial standards of compliance (their problem) more than (our problem) LOL

We're just trying to get around it, make the most of the crumbs they give us.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.