Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Such thing as USB3 hub that fast-transfers within itself?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Such thing as USB3 hub that fast-transfers within itself?
June 19, 2016 04:39PM
Like if a Pogoplug (or router etc) had a USB 3.0 hub plugged into a USB slot, and you had two external hard drives (USB 3.0) plugged into the hub.

Can you instruct External Drive 1 to copy to External Drive 2 at the super speed?

Almost like the old days FXP-ing an FTP transfer where, from your cruelly slow dialup connection you're instructing fast computer A to transfer over T3 to fast computer B? If that makes sense.

As-is, copying one to another takes that trip to the computer and sends it back to the other, which for small items is okay.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Such thing as USB3 hub that fast-transfers within itself?
June 19, 2016 05:13PM
@Joey
Thats part of the spec for USB3 to be able to move files within the hub if the devices are attached to the same hub

HOWEVER : you need a fully USB3 compliant system for this to work - if the USB3 hub is attached to a USB2 hub or device.... it defaults to USB2 behaviours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 05:15PM by Gravelrash.
Re: Such thing as USB3 hub that fast-transfers within itself?
June 19, 2016 06:33PM
Super cool me appreciateth :-).

I almost posted a scenario to use an OrangePi Plus SATA II and adapt my way to USB 3.0 hub glory.

And if you don't mind me thinking out loud, maybe the next step is to set my pennies toward a USB 3 hub again. My router's supposed USB 3.0 port might even work (not something I'd bet on), and no way to know unless it's tried.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.