Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hosting Panoramas from small Linux device?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Hosting Panoramas from small Linux device?
August 21, 2017 03:41PM
It baffles me why panorama pictures haven't taken off (unless you count Google Earth's Neighborhood View).
But for years there was QuickTime, so if your friends had QuickTime installed they'd open an image that was over the email attachment limit, meaning you had to have used a USB stick to load them on their computer. Then they could open the panorama and pan left, right and zoom in and out a bit.

Since then, email attachment sizes are larger, but not so many people have QuickTime. Then there's Flash-based rendering of your panorama (using an app I have to find out and edit this post what I used), that you can pan around in your browser, but Flash is going out of existence soon and I wouldn't let my panoramas in that format anyway.

The reason why I've made QuickTime over many years (one real good one,but not great) was the idea of patients in hospitals around here. It's rugged country and for people paralyzed in a hospital or otherwise, many times they were active people and used to get to places that are now hard to reach. So that's the original reason that's gotten delayed quite a while for me.

So that's why I thought to ask, not only about best formats for the bandwidth but also if anyone else has been doing much Panorama/VR, what's going on lately and are current formats such they should be hosted from a Pogoplug or little Linux box?

Beyond that I'm strongly inclined to want audio included, maybe a 1-5 minute loop and when you pan around the sound goes in and out of phase like you're turning. Again I'll find the name of what I was using that embeds that... BIAB

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 04:10PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Hosting Panoramas from small Linux device?
August 23, 2017 03:57AM
August 23, 2017 02:23PM
feas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how about this https://github.com/mpetroff/pannellum
>
I started looking into the source code of the above link and am not sure if I want any of my Linux embedded system to run such a program driven by python with Java code. TBH, I don't mine the former, but the later is a definite no.
August 24, 2017 05:58PM
habibie Wrote:
> but the later is a definite no.

Yeah those kinds of discussions help me a lot - I still have room for limited learning curves, but truth me told it's good therapy just using computers without guessing.

Check the attachment for a part of my favorite panorama so far. This was likely a screenshot from within the actual panorama, which I'm happy to post here - the panorama is in QuickTime format meaning its extension is .mov, but I don't know if any of you have QuickTime running on Linux (Mac users, this works right away of course) or what your preferred file-splitting app is* - I say that because my panorama is a little over 1MB, over the attachment limit here, but in Windows I can take WinRAR and break it in two pieces as RAR or maybe Zip, even maybe TAR or something.

This particular panorama (from 2004) is pretty cool yet has major flaws, but every year I go back there to try again to get it perfect (four times in the months following heart failure LOL), and knock on wood I'll get it this year, as well as another panorama of the moon coming up over the lake.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 06:02PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - JoeyHikePanoTeaser.jpg (221.3 KB)
August 24, 2017 06:44PM
Joey,

> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ...
> > but the later is a definite no.
>
> Yeah those kinds of discussions help me a lot - I
> still have room for limited learning curves, but t
> ruth me told it's good therapy just using computer
> s without guessing.

I am not sure why habibie said Java code is "no". Nothing wrong with using Java code.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 25, 2017 12:18AM
bodhi Wrote:

> Nothing wrong with using Java code.

I believe you; but from my stronghold in Windows land we're scared of Java because one wrong setting and... like anything else..

I found what I'm using to process the landscape; it's called Pano2VR. So it does render to HTML5 which might be a good thing (I still need to research soon and must sleep pretty quick) The possibilities are insane, here's one idea I hope to accomplish:

Take a panorama of my living room, with a picture frame on the wall containing like six other living rooms. I can pan this living room and when I click on any of the pictures on the wall you get transported there, and look around. Now, who wants panoramas of the living room? More like I'd have a relative's remote cabin (indoor panorama), and maybe church bell tower at sunrise (no I don't go to church but I'll go to a bell tower LOL) and on and on. This can be extremely fun, and again with sound capabilities that's another great dimension.

From there you start thinking how many pixels to make a panorama out of HD video and do a 5-10 minute loop. This way, say it's a person who is killing time, paralyzed in a hospital room, they can pan the captured video such as outdoors, the top of that mountain, and things like that. But that is a whole different level of resources required and I'm just saying that as a tease. What might be a better deal is a 360-degree camera on-site and let them pan electronically.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 04:13AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
August 25, 2017 10:20AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Nothing wrong with using Java code.
>
> I believe you; but from my stronghold in Windows l and we're scared of Java because one wrong setting and... like anything else..
>
The reason I will try to avoid any JAVA program is slowness, i.e. waste of CPU resources, etc.

Speaking about a JAVA program, has anyone tried to de-compile it?
August 25, 2017 04:24PM
> The reason I will try to avoid any JAVA program is
> slowness, i.e. waste of CPU resources, etc.
>

That "Java is slow" thing is way passe (by perhaps 10 years). You might want to install some Debian packages written in Java and try them.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 25, 2017 10:52PM
bodhi Wrote:
> > The reason I will try to avoid any JAVA program is slowness, i.e. waste of CPU resources, etc.
> >
>
> That "Java is slow" thing is way passe (by perhaps 10 years). You might want to install some Debian packages written in Java and try them.
>
I don't think so. Try to write your networking server programs in JAVA for any of your Linux embedded systems and feel how responsive they behave when compared to the same server programs written in C/C++.
August 25, 2017 11:33PM
habibie Wrote:

> Try to write your networking ser
> ver programs in JAVA for any of your Linux embedde
> d systems and feel how responsive they behave when
> compared to the same server programs written in C/
> C++.

Have you done that yourself, or just reading from the net?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 26, 2017 12:40AM
August 26, 2017 07:50AM
Thanks feas. That's indeed quite an interesting benchmark!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 26, 2017 09:49AM
He has included all source materials for recreating and explains details of his benchmarking I have not seen elsewhere. Makes me wonder if others saying Java is slower is due to using client vs server. Thinking about trying myself to see.
August 26, 2017 09:59AM
bodhi Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Try to write your networking server programs in JAVA for any of your Linux embedded systems and feel how responsive they behave when compared to the same server programs written in C/C++.
>
> Have you done that yourself, or just reading from the net?
>
TBH, I am no programmers, especially JAVA programming. So, I can't say that I do have such an experience, do you? I am hoping your answer is yes and will provide your own proofs that your networking server program written in JAVA can out perform the same program written in C/C++ running on any same Linux embedded devices.
August 26, 2017 10:02AM
bodhi Wrote:
> Thanks feas. That's indeed quite an interesting benchmark!
>
Indeed. And, this (from Debian) is also an interesting benchmark.
August 26, 2017 10:04AM
feas Wrote:
> He has included all source materials for recreating and explains details of his benchmarking I have not seen elsewhere. Makes me wonder if others saying Java is slower is due to using client vs server. Thinking about trying myself to see.
>
Perhaps, you ought to test his source materials on any of your Linux embedded device and post your results here.
August 26, 2017 10:21AM
habibie Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> -----
> > Thanks feas. That's indeed quite an interesting
> benchmark!
> >
> Indeed. And, [url=http://benchmarksgame.alioth.deb
> ian.org/u64q/java.html]this[/url] (from Debian) is
> also an interesting benchmark.

If you look they ran java in client mode and not server so I didn't think this was as objective as the one I linked.

BTW, Don't want to hijack your thread further so will make another for java / gcc benchmarks should any want to contribute to the discussion with their findings.
August 26, 2017 05:23PM
August 26, 2017 05:44PM
Joey,

> I found what I'm using to process the landscape; i
> t's called Pano2VR
> .
So it does render to HTML5 which might be
> a good thing (I still need to research soon and mu
> st sleep pretty quick) The possibilities are insan
> e, here's one idea I hope to accomplish:
>
> Take a panorama of my living room, with a picture
> frame on the wall containing like six other living
> rooms. I can pan this living room and when I click
> on any of the pictures on the wall you get transpo
> rted there, and look around. Now, who wants panora
> mas of the living room? More like I'd have a relat
> ive's remote cabin (indoor panorama), and maybe ch
> urch bell tower at sunrise (no I don't go to churc
> h but I'll go to a bell tower LOL) and on and on.
> This can be extremely fun, and again with sound ca
> pabilities that's another great dimension.
>
> From there you start thinking how many pixels to m
> ake a panorama out of HD video and do a 5-10 minut
> e loop. This way, say it's a person who is killing
> time, paralyzed in a hospital room, they can pan t
> he captured video such as outdoors, the top of tha
> t mountain, and things like that. But that is a wh
> ole different level of resources required and I'm
> just saying that as a tease. What might be a bette
> r deal is a 360-degree camera on-site and let them
> pan electronically.

This is an interesting project! a 360-deg camera is, I think, more expensive than multiple cheapo still cameras. Now this reminded me the Blade Runner scene, when Decker was trying to figure out who was there in the room :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 27, 2017 08:31PM
feas Wrote:
> Don't know what you are using for a camera but ran
> across this.
>
> h
> ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v50JopRrh0

>
>
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Degree-Panoramic-
> 960P-Hidden-Wifi-Camera-Light-Bulb-Mini-Security-I
> P-Camera-/253082826366?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l636
> 8]http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Degree-Panoramic-960
> P-Hidden-Wifi-Camera-Light-Bulb-Mini-Security-IP-C
> amera-/253082826366?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368[/
> url]

Oh is that EVIL or what? I could imagine junkies passing by and wanting to take the new porch lightbulb out, but we used J.B Weld metal epoxy on the side threads right? mWahaaaa!

Of this product itself, I'm amazed. It's sinking in. Wow.

* Bodhi, your enthusiasm means a lot to me and I thank you too of course. The camera I hope to use this year is the one I inherited off my niece, it's the only item I asked for. I hope to capture good scenes that justify me ending up with it. To show how good her last camera (right before she got an iPad) was, here is a picture of the moon I took off the porch with not even the best environment at all. And that is my screen background on most computers here ;-)

But yeah that $30 camera might be very much the solution, with some small modifications. Encase it sealed in glass with RainX on the outside and you could have a LOT of fun with that, as well as let people access it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2017 09:17PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - moon.JPG (32.6 KB)
August 27, 2017 10:47PM
Don't forget the 2 way sound and what fun you can have with that on the unexpecting coming to your front porch. But seriously you could also capture the sound for your panoramas for those not able to trek it to your spots.
August 28, 2017 12:36AM
feas Wrote:
> Don't forget the 2 way sound and what fun you can
> have with that on the unexpecting coming to your f
> ront porch. But seriously you could also capture
> the sound for your panoramas for those not able to
> trek it to your spots.

I can't wait to get ahold of one of these, since it's the same principle as any other 360-degree camera and could help out with research on a shoestring.
In my area of expertise, the audio part, I'd imagine the wind could be a problem (though I've never used a microphone with those dimensions and maybe it's engineered with that in mind) but after exhaustive tests with every material I could get my hands on, there's a certain type of furnace screen that is amazing in its ability to kill wind noise. Cost is pennies and it's safe. Yeah for all you guys's expertise I'm glad to share mine :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.