Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

adata 16gb microsd card died after one year

Posted by asterix 
adata 16gb microsd card died after one year
April 17, 2018 05:42PM
has run debian about one year as raspberry pi's system disk, died. many years ago, also use CF as system disk, also about one year,died.

seems sd card not as durable as nand or emmc. highly recommended to backup image if your device using sd card as system disk.

Someone also said another reason shortening sd card life was system writing log too frequent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 06:03PM by asterix.
Re: adata 16gb microsd card died after one year
April 18, 2018 12:47AM
asterix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> has run debian about one year as raspberry pi's
> system disk, died. many years ago, also use CF as
> system disk, also about one year,died.
>
> seems sd card not as durable as nand or emmc.
> highly recommended to backup image if your device
> using sd card as system disk.
>
> Someone also said another reason shortening sd
> card life was system writing log too frequent.

I'll only use SanDisk for microSD cards, won't waver off that. Even Samsung Evos are lopsided in read and write speeds, like 20 one way and 80 MB/sec the other.

At this point it looks like SanDisk can be relied on for three flawless years, whether the drugstore USB 2.0s or the 80/80 micro SDcards (ultra plus).

Maybe this will help someone if they never thought if this, but I go to Best Buy website, search for "sd card", then click "show price low to high" and then bookmark that. Then I check once a week or thereabouts. So it's pretty normal for me to get a 32GB SanDisk Ultra Plus for $10-15 four times a year. And I get my hunter/gatherer fix as well.

It's one of those parts you have to buy new, and from a reputable dealer. I'm just thinking out loud. My E02 has a nice brand new SanDisk UltraFit waiting for the 3-year old PNY USB 3.0 (a rare PNY that's reliable) to serve it's purpose and give up the ghost.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: adata 16gb microsd card died after one year
April 18, 2018 05:37AM
to quote bodhi

To prolong the life of your rootfs USB thumb drive:

1. Use busybox-syslogd to log to RAM.
2. For each package you installed, either specify the log file in /tmp. Or overmount the log files to /tmp (mount -o bind).
3. Use a swap file so you can create it on an attached HDD. And create one on flash drive in case the HDD is not attached. Use a script to detect if the HDD is present during boot. If it is not then switch to the USB thumb swap (this should not happen, so it is just a precaution).
4. Watch the swap if it is on USB thumb. There should be no swap needed. If seeing swap actvities then always use the HDD to handle swap.
5. Use iotop command to watch frequent disk IOs (to figure out which log files needed to be moved or overmounted).
iotop -o -b -qqq
6. Use zswap if the kernel supports it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 05:39AM by Gravelrash.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.