Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why DEBIAN over ARCHLINUXARM

Posted by Gravelrash 
Why DEBIAN over ARCHLINUXARM
July 16, 2018 03:32AM
I am starting this thread as i am curious why people want to migrate from ARCH linux to Debian.

Both work perfectly well. Im just curious why people do this.

For myself I like debian as there are lots of tutorials etc that are easily trasnsposed from other Debian derivatives (Ubuntu/Mint/Raspbian etc) that make life so much easier for me. However, I understand that ARCH is a rolling release and you always get the latest and greatest when you install something. I have used both and i have systems out in the wild that use both. I see a place for each.

Just curious if anyone else would like to share the reasons why they have migrated across.

Peace and respect to all :Gravelrash
Re: Why DEBIAN over ARCHLINUXARM
July 16, 2018 11:33PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am starting this thread as i am curious why
> people want to migrate from ARCH linux to Debian.
>
> Both work perfectly well. Im
> just curious why people do this.

If I could compare computer hardware to vehicles, I'd say Arch is for mechanics and Debian for drivers. Or compare recording studio, Arch is the Engineer and Debian the Producer. Debian is the forest, Arch is the trees.

I still have a Pogoplug USB stick of Arch, and have tremendous respect for it. Being new to headless Linux I could get in trouble fast if I were tinkering with it, but once setup it was drop dead reliable. But when I saw you guys mention all the packages available for Debian, I did basic research and found Debian isn't much larger initially than Arch and the performance and low ram use is mind blowing.

Additionally the Arch people I feel have been easier to approach when you've got a problem wheres the Debian site -I was banned within hours

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
July 16, 2018 11:52PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02
> Additionally the Arch people I feel have been
> easier to approach when you've got a problem
> wheres the Debian site -I was banned within hours

:))) really !

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 17, 2018 12:01AM
For me, I decided many years ago. Debian is a little more conservative, i.e. stable, and it saves me time (supporting others and for even myself). I would never run a system with unattended-upgrade mode with Arch. With Debian I do that all the time.

Using Arch is like using Debian Testing repo, you get the latest and greatest. But Arch is like a sharp-edge knife, with it you can get the job done very quicky, but it will be bloody sometime :))

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
July 17, 2018 12:41AM
bodhi Wrote:
>
JoeyPogoPlugE02
> > Additionally the Arch people I feel have been
> > easier to approach when you've got a problem
> > wheres the Debian site -I was banned within
> hours
>
>
> :))) really !

Yes, the language and use of modifiers to get the choicest words past the auto censor was the only time I've ever been able to punch someone textually through their computer screen. I'm mild-mannered, you know that, but there was a disconnect at the official Debian website that day.

Okay, here's another way of looking at the differences:

The woman in this video is the hardware. The guy at the mixing console is Arch. The producer behind him is Debian. Let's see them in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Rhh_4GZmU

LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2018 01:19PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
July 17, 2018 07:38AM
bodhi Wrote:
> For me, I decided many years ago. Debian is a little more conservative, i.e. stable, and it saves me time (supporting others and for even myself). I would never run a system with unattended-upgrade mode with Arch. With Debian I do that all the time.
>
> Using Arch is like using Debian Testing repo, you get the latest and greatest. But Arch is like a sharp-edge knife, with it you can get the job done very quicky, but it will be bloody sometime :))
>
Bodhi, you couldn't have said it better.

On top what Bodhi had said above, my other reason to have debian on my Seagate GoFLEX Home is I already have computers running with debian OS. So, this will make maintenance simpler. For instance, some local scripts written for my debian Linux desktop computers work on my Seagate GoFLEX Home sans a problem, provided I do have the same software needed by my local scripts installed. Otherwise, I could go either way.

BTW, from the /etc/debian_version file, I noticed my Seagate GoFLEX Home is running on the debian buster/sid. From this debian buster release information (07/17/18), isn't the repo of a debian buster/sid is the same as a debian testing?
July 17, 2018 05:57PM
habibie,

> BTW, from the /etc/debian_version file, I
> noticed my Seagate GoFLEX Home is running on the
> debian buster/sid. From this
> debian
> buster
release information (07/17/18), isn't
> the repo of a debian buster/sid is the same
> as a debian testing?

Yes, that's Testing. stretch is Stable. When Testing has been out for a while, it's almost "bug-free" like Stable. So it is ok to use.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.