Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apart from this forum... whats keeping you sane in lockdown :)

Posted by Gravelrash 
Apart from this forum... whats keeping you sane in lockdown :)
April 19, 2020 09:01AM
I'll start the ball rolling :)

I'm spanner chucking in the garage and frequenting this forum...

http://modernvespa.com/forum/forum19
Re: Apart from this forum... whats keeping you sane in lockdown :)
April 20, 2020 05:33AM
Fun stuff:)

Wish I can make use of a vespa. With all the cowboys on the road back here I would be ran over in no time :))

Miss my younger years, I had a 50 cc scooter and tinkering with it all the time (aka pimp my ride :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 21, 2020 09:33AM
ahhhh - the younger years of tinkering with vehicles..... i seem to have taken that with me to my midlife
April 21, 2020 03:49PM
Upgrading two Windows 10 machines with some Acustica Acqua finery while just learning my Windows 10 went slow because when it updated without my express permission it tried to patch the Meltdown & Spectre vulnerability. This GRC freeware tool un-patches it but you're more vulnerable and I'm okay with that because I make good backups (x2 backup products because once one of them failed!).

I'd love to know a simpler more foolproof way to turn a couple of Windows 10 primary partitions into virtual machines. Maybe down the road if there's a huge ARM cluster that can run VMs like a supercomputer, that could happen. Any advice on VM creation I'm all ears. A pandemic is a great time to talk about encapsulating Windows beyond the apocalypse :p

It's a great time to be indoors! While Gravelrash is tearing around the country or is that an indoor project?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 04:00PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 21, 2020 07:26PM
Joey,

> I'd love to know a simpler more foolproof way to
> turn a couple of Windows 10 primary partitions
> into virtual machines.

There are many tools. VMWare and Parallell are commercial, but usuall cost way under $US 100. Or try the free soltion: Virtualbox.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 21, 2020 07:46PM
Depends on your use cases. Lately i’ve been using vagrant to automate creating/destroying VMs for testing. I’ve also played around with QEMU to emulate arm systems, though that adds more overhead than it’s worth in most cases
April 22, 2020 03:51AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ahhhh - the younger years of tinkering with
> vehicles..... i seem to have taken that with me to
> my midlife

I wish I could :) I used to maintain and sometime fix my car during college.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 22, 2020 05:54AM
@joey - I'm tearing around the garage which is 10 steps from my front door :) and there are many ways to skin a virtual cat. personally id run windows on a VM platform on my Linux workstation - but i don't have the software stack requirement you have

@bodhi - I'm musing on converting one of my classics to DC so i can power one of the small arm boxes, just for fun. May not happen but its a thought i ponder :)

This is my current desktop PC running Linux Mint - cost me a whole £30 and doesn't have the fan noise of my usual i5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-WYSE-5060-N07D-Thin-Client-H0C1T-4GB-RAM-8GB-Flash-USB-3-0-No-PSU-No-Stand/254496736114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
April 22, 2020 04:52PM
> This is my current desktop PC running Linux Mint -
> cost me a whole £30 and doesn't have the fan
> noise of my usual i5
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-WYSE-5060-N07D-Thin-Client-H0C1T-4GB-RAM-8GB-Flash-USB-3-0-No-PSU-No-Stand/254496736114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This looks like an x86 box.

£30 is great bargain :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 22, 2020 09:19PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is my current desktop PC running Linux Mint -
> cost me a whole £30 and doesn't have the fan
> noise of my usual i5

Was the BIOS any challenge to navigate? I spent a season living at Parky Towers when I bought 7 Goodwill computers. There were three WYSE Thin Clients but it was right before Dell I think and they were too advanced for my skillz.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 22, 2020 10:39PM
I got a HP elite 8300 USDT from a friend for $60. Very good deal. i5-3470, 8GB memory, 320GB HD, later I replaced the CPU to i5-3475s and upgraded the 320GB HD to a 500GB SSD, installed Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 and windows 10 Pro on the same SSD. My daughter loves her "Mac"
April 24, 2020 04:58AM
@daviddyer - thats a great price and an even better one for a "mac" :) :)))

@bodhi - yes thats an x86/64 piece of kit

@joey - the bios was easy to navigate once past the password lockout - easy to do with the bios password reset switch underneath and the use of the password Fireport or was it fireport. picked up a used 64GB SSD/DOM and this is now what i am typing this on.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.