Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any USB 3-bootable SOCs look good to anyone lately?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Any USB 3-bootable SOCs look good to anyone lately?
April 25, 2020 02:31PM
Both my desktop PCs are about 11 years old, both quadcores both 8 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro. A lot of TLC went into these and they run like tops.

But... it would not surprise me -11 years being a few Moore's Laws- if soon or now there are system on a chips to replace these at much lower energy cost. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I could see the main OS connected with SATA, but making bootable OS USB sticks sounds pretty fun.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Any USB 3-bootable SOCs look good to anyone lately?
April 26, 2020 06:46AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both my desktop PCs are about 11 years old, both quadcores both 8 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro. A lot of TLC went into these and they run like tops.
>
A PC with that specs is still good, especially when running a compact Linux desktop, i.e. KUbuntu, etc. Heck, I am still using an old AMD {henom II X3 with 4 GB system with KUbuntu and it works great.

> But... it would not surprise me -11 years being a few Moore's Laws- if soon or now there are system on a chips to replace these at much lower energy cost.
>
One thing comes to mind is any inexpensive ARM S912 octa-core Android TV Box system with at least 4 GB RAM + a USB3 port + a Gbps RJ45 port that can run any ARM Linux desktop system will do, especially coupled with any big HQ LED TV screen that can support a minimal 60 Hz refresh rate. This probably won't be as fast as your 11 years old 4-core system, but will conserve a lot of electricity, AFAICS.
April 27, 2020 01:09PM
habibie Wrote:

> One thing comes to mind is any inexpensive ARM
> S912 octa-core Android TV Box system with at least
> 4 GB RAM + a USB3 port + a Gbps RJ45 port that can
> run any ARM Linux desktop system will do,
> especially coupled with any big HQ LED TV screen
> that can support a minimal 60 Hz refresh rate.
> This probably won't be as fast as your 11 years
> old 4-core system, but will conserve a lot of
> electricity, AFAICS.

I remember you mentioning that TV box a few times; I ask how much it cost?

My Windows here is mostly for Windows-only apps and for 80% of other computing I'd feel safer in Linux. After using an Android smartphone for 5 months I'm quite scared of Android after watching settings turn themselves on and off and all kinds of indications...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 29, 2020 07:01AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
>
> I remember you mentioning that TV box a few times; I ask how much it cost?
>
This really depends. I usually shop such product from eBay and a few months back bought an S912 with 2/16 GB RAM/eMMC storage around US $12 (IIRC). I just use this device with CoreELEC for video streaming purposes. If it had a 4 GB RAM, I certainly would use it as a Linux desktop computer.
May 02, 2020 03:11PM
Easy, Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM. Dual HDMI outputs, loads of availability, and good community support (even if it is in some ways inferior to other products).

It doesn't (yet) boot natively off of USB3, but just slap in the smallest micro SD card you can find and use that with a bootloader to boot from USB: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/109546/boot-raspberry-pi-4-from-usb

It looks like the RockPro64 also supports booting from USB3 (u-boot on SPI), however you should ensure your USB3 device has an external power source: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/issues/257

The RockPro64 also has a PCIe slot, though you should be aware that external GPUs are not supported.
May 06, 2020 05:56AM
+1 for the Fruit named device

wouldn't normally have recommended a Pi for anyone, before now, but the current configuration has finally started to come of age.
May 08, 2020 09:47PM
All of that looks fantastic and I'll be keeping an eye out for sales. For a while I've felt that money spent at the $50 point should be a x64 SOC and under $50 the money was best spent on one of the items on this page you guys listed.

I finally bought my 2 revisions of Reaper license which can last 7 years including all of the updates, and I'd like to pitch this and ask you Linux guys if the units on the page mentioned ought to support Reaper ARM version?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 12, 2020 09:27AM
the ones mentioned by "hmartin" should be able to run the software you mentioned.... its there on the page you linked @Joey
May 12, 2020 10:27PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> the ones mentioned by "hmartin" should be able to
> run the software you mentioned.... its there on
> the page you linked @Joey

Fantastic. I really like the Pi4 4GB and case. I'd probably just use that for low wattage computing, because the one I'm typing on is about 100 watts and is so programmed with Windows specialty apps (not to mention Windows 10 destroying my metered connection cellphone tether without telling me). The fun distributions boot on x86 or x64 though and that's a minus. But if this ever goes down to $50 < I'll definitely do it.

Gents, this is one of the pages at RaspberryPi: what is it?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 12, 2020 11:03PM
Joey,

> Gents, this is
> one
> of the pages at RaspberryPi: what is it?

It is basically rPi 3 B+ computer in a module. You would plug it in another computer that has a bus that accomodates this.

Not exactly the same, but pretty much simliar to the old day of PCs, you would plug graphics coprocessor in PCI bus. That graphics processor is a computer ittself.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 11:04PM by bodhi.
May 13, 2020 12:45AM
See https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NDDTHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 for an example of a Baseboard that takes one of these modules. There are many others.

Ray
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.