Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's a better 1TB external HD for $50, WD or Seagate?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
What's a better 1TB external HD for $50, WD or Seagate?
January 16, 2021 12:32AM
I'm intrigued to learn Wal Mart has some items I used to have to get from Best Buy on sale lol.
My limit is $50 this time but I can either get a WD or Seagate Backup plus I think.

While I'm at it, is there a day of the week Wal Mart sets the prices? You would think pretty soon the after-X-mas season sales should be warming up. When Best Buy was here I'd be up late Saturday nights waiting for the flyer, and that set the prices until the next week.

Last of the bigtime spenders here lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: What's a better 1TB external HD for $50, WD or Seagate?
January 16, 2021 06:24AM
From today's NewEgg eMail ad, you can find this Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Black - HDTB410XK3AA US $44.99 + Free S/H - US $2 (with a promo code - EMCEHHX22) = US $42.99, Honestly, I have no idea how good this HDD is.
January 17, 2021 01:04AM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From today's
> NewEgg
> eMail ad
, you can find this
> Toshiba
> Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB
> 3.0 Black - HDTB410XK3AA
US $44.99 + Free
> S/H - US $2 (with a promo code - EMCEHHX22) = US
> $42.99, Honestly, I have no idea how good this HDD
> is.

Thanks a lot for checking Habibie! I got an unexpected $10 added so I got a Seagate Backup Plus I think, 2TB.. So far it's not bad; smaller than the other external HDs.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 17, 2021 06:51AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Thanks a lot for checking Habibie! I got an unexpected $10 added so I got a Seagate Backup Plus I think, 2TB.. So far it's not bad; smaller than the other external HDs.
>
A 2 TB SATA HDD for US $60 is not bad at all.
January 17, 2021 03:47PM
Joey and habibie,

Seagate Backup Plus is a slower HDD. Its mission is to be a backup and media storage disk. So its direct access will be slower than other HDDs that are for system disk (e.g. 7200 RPM). Seagate Backup Plus sequential access is as fast as any other HDDs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 18, 2021 06:30AM
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey and habibie,
>
> Seagate Backup Plus is a slower HDD.
>

Thank you Bodhi for the above information.

I have a 3 TB SATA HDD (7200 RPM Seagate brand -- forgot the model number) that can deliver about 200 MBps write (IIRC) and was used on my Seagate Go FLEX Home (as an NFS drive) for about 6 month before it started making clicking sounds. I put this HDD to my Linux desktop computer and it works just fine. However, after afew months, the The HDD is very fast. However, during its tenure I could only get no more than 60 MBps write to the HDD as an NFS mounted drive, IIRC. Due to this issue, I thought perhaps a 5400 RPM SATA HDD which draws less currents than a 7200 RPM SATA HDD will be more appropriate for a Seagate GoFLEX Home. In this case, I think a backup USB / SATA HDD will be alright. OTOH, perhaps, this ODroid-HC4 will be the solution (don't know if NFS can handle it).
January 28, 2021 11:32PM
Thanks a lot Bodhi and Habibie. While I did get the Seagate BP 2TB, it was more about what Wal Mart had. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I copied probably 1TB to it and it had 0% fragmentation! You would have thought something, anything. This is unlikely to be plugged into a Pogoplug/router so much as backup.
I'm also likely to get another one specifically for NAS.

There's three things I'd like to bring up and see what you'se think.

1. Last we did decent research on SSDs, they did amazing things at a decent price. But Samsung Pro, as ofnot long ago, was practically the ONLY serious SSD. $300 for 1TB Samsung Pro is said to be breathtaking and last substantially longer than anything else. Here's one comparison betweenSamsung Evo and Pro:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/samsung-qvo-vs-evo.html

By the way guys & gals, the above link has a freeware personal version that's very nice for Windows people for basic formatting and partition management.
Still the article has me scared to consider SSDs that aren't Samsung Pro, meaning don't use anything that's less than $300 per TB.

2. I'd like to start froms scratch building some kind of NAS (or buy a higher powered router) that uses one or two 2.5"s that run quiet and backs up daily or more.
I might reaquaint my quest for something that runs on very little electricity but can be backed up to long-term 3.5"'s. Just thinkign out loud. But it was a long timeago in tech terms that we had the glorious Pogoplug. That pink inspiration for my nick (LOL) is one of my favorite computers ever. Just think if it were a 2-watt unit that runs the pilot light of a LAN/NAS It never failed to get a smile. This is

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 29, 2021 12:20AM
(this postd with warning the algo thinks I might be a bot. But you know i don't heva the skillz to runa bot LOL
Heres the rest that didn't paste:
3. Guys, at the moment I'm past midlife and not the sharpest bulb on the tree. I see a potential advantage to scheming my internet and LAN a certain way. For internet all's normal, but when I click on a network-attached directory (folder LOL) it cuts the internet access. The idea came to me a while back when Gravelrash showed us powerstrips that can switch on and off individual outlets. At first the idea was to route through internet router and then turn that off and turn on the LAN router. I test certain softwares as well as have a reason to protect music that hasn't been copyrighted!! So it's good reasons to have my local NAS out of reach. I'm trying to figure the most efficient and safe place in the heirarchy of it all.

I'm on a smartphone with tiny screen and hope this is readable; thanks.
And we're approaching the dead of winter with the best sales coming up soon :-).

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 29, 2021 01:32AM
Joey,

2. I'd like to start froms scratch building some kind of NAS (or buy a higher powered router) that uses one or two 2.5"s that run quiet and backs up daily or more.

Lowest cost box that serves the pupose is the GoFlex Net (with 2 slots for 2.5" HDDs or SSDs).

I might reaquaint my quest for something that runs on very little electricity but can be backed up to long-term 3.5"'s.

And the GoFlex Home also qualifies with one slot for 3.5" HDDs. Same price range as the GoFlex Net.

Those 2 above are lowest cost (20-40 USD on eBay).

Up next in the cost tier is Zyxel NAS 320, 325, or 326 (all have two 3.5"HDD slots). Also the Thecus N2350 with two 3.5" HDD slots. These are all in the same price range, about 80-120 USD. The Thecus N2350 is the best among these boxes.

Of course all the boxes I mentioned above run the latest Linux kernel I release here!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 31, 2021 12:02AM
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey,
>
>

2. I'd like to start froms scratch building
> some kind of NAS (or buy a higher powered router)
> that uses one or two 2.5"s that run quiet and
> backs up daily or more.
>
> Lowest cost box that serves the pupose is the
> GoFlex Net (with 2 slots for 2.5" HDDs or SSDs).
>
>

I might reaquaint my quest for something
> that runs on very little electricity but can be
> backed up to long-term 3.5"'s.
>
> And the GoFlex Home also qualifies with one slot
> for 3.5" HDDs. Same price range as the GoFlex
> Net.
>
> Those 2 above are lowest cost (20-40 USD on
> eBay).
>
> Up next in the cost tier is Zyxel NAS 320, 325, or
> 326 (all have two 3.5"HDD slots). Also the Thecus
> N2350 with two 3.5" HDD slots. These are all in
> the same price range, about 80-120 USD. The
> Thecus N2350 is the best among these boxes.
>
> Of course all the boxes I mentioned above run the
> latest Linux kernel I release here!

Thanks a lot! I'm not as poor as the last time you mentioned this (LOL). I'm convinced you all have been right the whole time and I definitly don't fault myself for taking the time and % of "income" to learn the hands-on way what works and what doesn't. Like the seeming speed twins USB 3 and eSata; I see now for mission critical situations go for eSata.
I'm trying to remember that yellow unit Gravelrash sent a while back. It couldn't be revived (my guess, static charge in transit or concussion). A year ago when I moved I threw out my Pogoplug Pros and that yellow unit. Crying shame too but it was hell moving out of that meth neighborhood. I kept the Pogoplugs that were gifts of course. But I wish I could remember the name of that because my curiosity has been piqued!

Thanks always for the help and enthusiasm Bodhi and everyone else.

-update- wow the Thecus N4350 4-Bay NAS looks perfect. I don't see availability for this or the little brother at Amazon nor prices however. I haven't read the white papers and don't know if it could configure like my gut impulse to have one or two 2.5" (there's always adapters anyway right?).

How this changes my global paradigm: I have identical OSs and tons of software on one AMD and another Intel machines. For testing certain things it helps find bugs. It would be an order of magnitude so to speak if, every time I log off one machine, 25 frequently changable directories backup to the NAS, and every time I login the other machine it reaches out to the NAS to retrieve and update them all and so forth. In a way it's like old Microsoft Briefcase, remember that? I think they discontinued it. That promised to revolutionize my updated work by keeping eveyrhting updated manually but in one fell swoop, 25 years ago. It never worked for me once and the benefit of such updates would help now more than ever.

/long boring rant :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 02:19AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 22, 2021 05:02PM
Joey,

As usual, I always miss the updated part of user's post if it's happened that I was online and have read the original :) (the web page does not show the new post flag for updated post). I'm usually at the main page and won't revisit a thread/post if I don't see the red indicator when I refresh. Today I revisited this thread because it looks like there is a spam post above.

-update- wow the Thecus N4350 4-Bay NAS looks perfect. I don't see availability for this or the little brother at Amazon nor prices however. I haven't read the white papers and don't know if it could configure like my gut impulse to have one or two 2.5" (there's always adapters anyway right?).

You can use either 2.5" or 3.5" HDD. And check Walmart. I bought my N2350 at Walmart online shop when it was on sale. Not sure how I came across the sale (normally I don't buy gadgets from Walmart), it could have been when I checked the stock for T-Mobile 10 USD/month data plan deal.

How this changes my global paradigm: I have identical OSs and tons of software on one AMD and another Intel machines. For testing certain things it helps find bugs. It would be an order of magnitude so to speak if, every time I log off one machine, 25 frequently changable directories backup to the NAS, and every time I login the other machine it reaches out to the NAS to retrieve and update them all and so forth. In a way it's like old Microsoft Briefcase, remember that? I think they discontinued it. That promised to revolutionize my updated work by keeping eveyrhting updated manually but in one fell swoop, 25 years ago. It never worked for me once and the benefit of such updates would help now more than ever.

The old Windows Briefcase worked like a Dropbox for a local network. And it only works for Windows PC. Sounds like you have bunch of Windows PCs and wonder if there is something similar on Linux? the answer is: not exactly.

To get these PCs to sync files with a Linux box such as the Thecus N4350, the first thing comes to mind is Samba. Because Windows can read/write Samba shares exported by Linux boxes. But to do 2-way sync like the Briefcase, you'll need software like Dropbox. Or you'll could write a .bat file on Windows to push or pull to/from Samba shares.

So Linux Samba shares is a solution that is close to your goal, but need more works on Windows side.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 23, 2021 07:21AM
bodhi Wrote:
> (the web page does not show the new post flag for updated post). I'm usually at the main page and won't revisit a thread/post if I don't see the red indicator when I refresh.
>
O Wow .., what a relief. It looks like I wasn't alone in this case. For quite some times, I ran into this issue, too. A few months back, everytime when I visited this forum, I saw there wasn't any new posts on the Debian sub-forum. This continued for 2+ weeks. So, one day I decided to just click the Debian sub-forum to see some old posts. LOL and behole, once the Debian sub-forum appeared, I thought it was filled with new SPAM posts!

--
cheers.
March 23, 2021 04:49PM
habibie,

No, I did not have that problem. I explained to Joey why I did not see his questions, because I already read the original post right after he posted that.

Updates to a post will not have an update/new indicator. And I would not know about the updates unless I reread his post. So if the topic is relevant, just make a new post to add additional thoughts (that's perfectly OK to do). Some forum moderators complain when people post too many times, but not me,

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 25, 2021 07:16AM
Bodhi, thank you for your clarification.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.