Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiFi 6 routers; hackable and turnkey

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
WiFi 6 routers; hackable and turnkey
February 06, 2023 09:25PM
You're all bright, and previously benefactors here pointed out some wireless chipsets that are known to disconnect from time to time, like Reaktek RT as compared to the more stable options like the one I never received the wireless dongle I'd ordered. I forgot the brand of the good one.

And along comes Wifi6, AX and all that. I'm not up to spec yet but with its power saving abilities it's headed our way. Also you and I are the kind of people who probably run many items electronic without full benefit of shielding, and WiFi 6 looks to connect better through all the clutter. WPA3 needs negotiation too.

Of the choices out there, the dirt cheapest seems to be the HNK TARZAN AX1800, commonly sold for $11 open box including shipping lately; it would seem something needs to be hacked. The low price makes me suspicious but then again the TP-Link AX1800 is reviewed as best budget router by some.

I can't verify a claim made that D-Link firmware is underneath Tarzan's hood (funny).
Any thoughts? Thank you :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: WiFi 6 routers; hackable and turnkey
February 08, 2023 01:14PM
The FCC documents show that it is based on a Mediatek chipset which is supported by OpenWRT. However adding it to OpenWRT would require someone to extract the important info from the running system, write a dts file and do the testing / development work.

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AUZB-RAX1801/5210656
Re: WiFi 6 routers; hackable and turnkey
February 22, 2023 04:38PM
Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The FCC documents show that it is based on a
> Mediatek chipset which is supported by OpenWRT.
> However adding it to OpenWRT would require someone
> to extract the important info from the running
> system, write a dts file and do the testing /
> development work.
>
> https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AUZB-RAX1801/5210656

Hmmm... is it any harder to aim for tri-band target with a 6K band?

I miss the old magazine stand that had like the one that went away recently; even the covers of all the DIY magazines and all the Linux rags too, give one ideas.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.