Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So what's the most tricked-out Pogoplug E02?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
So what's the most tricked-out Pogoplug E02?
February 25, 2015 10:52PM
Truth be told, I haven't seen any Pogos with more than one USB stick, and when you think of it, the four total USB slots indicate this has a beefy enough power supply to power (dare i say it?), perhaps even an external hard drive. A month ago i started testing my USB sticks, before the thought of ordering a pogoplug even. Real neat freeware for windows called USBDeview. It shows read-write speeds but also current used. My PNY 64GB drew the highest current tested at about 1/2 Amp.

Lately I've acquired an IDE/SATA to USB adapter, cost like $12 and it's USB 2.0, but it's also got a 2 Amp power supply. In windows I've tried both the IDE and one old SATA, backing them up more than anything, but realize they're perfect guinea pigs to try Pogo tricks for basic storage and retrieval.

I'm flip-flopping whether to jump straight in or be cautious. But yeah, sure the PogoPlug is $18, but if it can be made real stable I'd easily make it a labor of love and trick it out with heat sinks and other niceties. then use it and forget about it. In other words, stop tinkering at about 100 hours. LOL (shhh 200 hours LOLLER)
Re: So what's the most tricked-out Pogoplug E02?
February 26, 2015 03:05AM
as to tricked out, well i installed one into a wooden treasure chest along with a 512gig 3.15 inch hdd running from a HP laptop powersupply (all contained within.

it now sits in a friends living room and looks more like a piece of furniture than traditional plug. if you were to ask the question as to the uses people put them to....

Edit : I have run one them with usb sound & bluetooth & usb nic & usb hdd as a logitech media server (quite a common mod)l My next project is to run 2 plugs in a cluster, with additional usb nics to act as the data sync lan, with hdd's and mount them inside an infinity mirror then hang it on the wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 03:08AM by Gravelrash.
super neat
February 26, 2015 12:48PM
If that doesn't spark the imagination :-)... along with the Pogoplug I bought a Rosewill RHSP-13001 load meter. So I've been running everything through that, especially power supplies. As of today the Pogoplug varies between 4.6 and 6 watts but settles in at 4.6. A 10-year old Seagate 250GB SATA draws 10 watts constant. I'm still copying stuff off it but might donate it to science fiction and mate it to the Pogoplug. Still thinking... lol

So when you mate a hard drive to the Pogoplug do you still have a flash drive with the main OS? Or all on hard drive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:38PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 26, 2015 04:47PM
With a HDD you need to adapt it to run off USB. Plenty of ways of doing that.. Adaptors are commonplace and plentiful on places such as the ebane.

Then you can rub it straight from the USB drive. It helps if you increase the USB delay in the uboot settings. Or you can boot from flash and mount the HDD from the fstab.
March 05, 2015 02:57PM
Lucky me scored 3 old, 40 Gig hard drives from goodwill today. Yes, 40 Gig. But that means I can experiment and not worry too much.

What I notice on the one i looked at is, it specifies 5v 0.72A and 12v 0.35A. Do you know off hand if they require both at the same time, or just one or the other? Lately i bought this (and hope for 2 more if I'm ever non-broke): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
And the Adapter they use always runs at 10 watts.

The real reason i'm asking,is if I trick my pogoplug out with a hard drive, a better one than these, but still... I know there's 5v switching power supplies that may cut wattage in half and work many years like that. But then again like you're implying, I see products with USB Y-connectors to get a little more 5v current out of more than one USB port. Unless they're trying to get 12 volts off one and 5 volts off the other.

Any thoughts? Or links... i can handle basic electricity more easilly than uhm... linux kernels

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 02:59PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 05, 2015 03:12PM
Joey,

Here is another option: the GoFlex Desk Base with USB 3.0. A lot of people bought the GF Desk to use the internal 3.5" HDD, and then sell the base on eBay. You might be able to get it cheaper than the adapter in your link. And the bonus is USB 3.0 i/f, just in case you ever get the Pogoplug V4, or connect it to a USB 3.0 port on PC/Mac. And no worry about the correct power source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Seagate-GoFlex-Desk-Adapter-USB3-0-STAE106-W-Cable-and-Power-Supply/331492286878?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27705%26meid%3Dbd6e9d1189c44e7bb4a70e9258a785d7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191309537673&rt=nc

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Niiice
March 05, 2015 05:01PM
That looks great bodhi. I've never dealt with Ebay but do have a PayPal. And a 37 cent balance LOL
I'll strongly consider it, and thank you.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.