Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

after Poweroff command, Pogo still draws 4.5 watts!

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
after Poweroff command, Pogo still draws 4.5 watts!
February 26, 2015 02:26PM
You probably know this and I apologize if this has been mentioned anywhere. I just got a watt meter and have been running everything through it, mainly to find out which power supplies are most efficient. The Pogoplug didn't surprise me at 4.6 watts normal (6 watts rare peak), but when I used putty and commanded poweroff, the session ended and Pogoplug went from 4.6 watts to 4.5! The ethernet port is still lit but USB stick light is off.
this is ArchLinux installed and maybe this explains some of the boot corruption.

If you know of a better shutdown command than poweroff, I'll try it and see.

-update- with Pogo "off" and drawing 4.5 watts, I unplugged the Ethernet and it's drawing 4 watts. Remove USB stick and it goes down to 3.5 watts!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:31PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: after Poweroff command, Pogo still draws 4.5 watts!
February 26, 2015 02:58PM
That's surprising. I installed a switch on the power cord, because after using the halt or poweroff commands you need to power cycle it to turn it on again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-Pcs-AC-250V-125V-2A-Black-Plasic-ON-OFF-Buon-In-Line-Cord-Swiches-/321590778100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae04dd8f4

On a related topic - do the Pogos support WOL?
February 26, 2015 03:04PM
> The
> ethernet port is still lit but USB stick light is
> off.
> this is ArchLinux installed and maybe this
> explains some of the boot corruption.

No it does not.

> If you know of a better shutdown command than
> poweroff, I'll try it and see.
>

Do a few sync commands before shutting down. Use the standard "shutdown -h now" on system with syvinit (old init system in wheezy, or modified jessied). And with systemd, use the standard "systemctl poweroff"

> -update- with Pogo "off" and drawing 4.5 watts, I
> unplugged the Ethernet and it's drawing 4 watts.
> Remove USB stick and it goes down to 3.5 watts!

Yes, the Pogoplugs don't completely power down. There is no way around this, other than using remote control power switch, or manually turn it off.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 26, 2015 03:06PM
Frederick Grayson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's surprising. I installed a switch on the
> power cord, because after using the halt or
> poweroff commands you need to power cycle it to
> turn it on again.

Yes.

> On a related topic - do the Pogos support WOL?

A few of them do, such as NSA325.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 26, 2015 03:23PM
Neat! Running Qui's Arch Linux I tried both shutdown -h now as well as systemctl poweroff and both take Pogo off the session and down to 4.5 watts.

As for no total shutdown, this is okay, just figuring the machine out. I'd rather this runs 5 watts 24/7 with downloading & torrent functions, than a 600 watt machine (because the power supply was cheap) half the time.

Knowing this might also help in developing strategies against a possible Achilles heel.

Thank you guys :-) A lot.

-let me know if you'd like me to try anything else; the meter is permanently living on my desktop LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 03:26PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
update
February 26, 2015 08:57PM
Wow, this is insightful enough to report. You know that little reset button inside the pogoplug? When the Pogo is "off" it sits at 4.5 watts (with Ethernet and USB plugged-in). Additionally I hold that button down it drops to 2.8 watts, and when you release it it shoots up to 6.9 and levels at 6.8 watts! FWIW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 08:59PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: update
February 26, 2015 09:44PM
Have a pic of that button? I don't recall seeing it and I have been inside half a dozen E02s.
February 26, 2015 10:29PM
Sure, and I added the arrow for the reset button. Last week it was originally fletched to ask others what the serial ports are.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2u4rib8.jpg

Are you sure that button isn't on your E02? It's easy to overlook. Also note the phat power supply. It inspires confidence, me says.
February 26, 2015 10:34PM
It's probably there but I just didn't notice. Exactly what does it do when pressed on a running box?
February 26, 2015 10:40PM
I'm a bit scared to try it on a running box. What I'm gathering is, the power supply probably draws 2.8 watts, and the electronics an additional 2 watts.

Now, something I WOULD try, is to changeover to another power supply, both to see if there's additional improvement in efficiency as well as a kinder poweroff, because this probably saved the manufacturer a few pennies and could use a little TLC. This is fast approaching the limits of my abilities to theorize... I still don't know how to test a transistor LOL
February 27, 2015 04:25AM
when pressed on a running box - it initiates a reset of the box, much like pressing the reset button on a pc. i do it all the time when :)
February 27, 2015 08:15AM
Is it smart by syncing disks or just brutal?
February 27, 2015 12:35PM
BRUTAL
February 27, 2015 12:38PM
OK, then there is no need for me to drill a hole in the side of the case for the toothpick needed to press the button.
February 27, 2015 01:00PM
My Pogoplug E-01 (the original PP, looks like a SheevaPlug) has a reset hole. It's not like pushing it restores it to stock magically. All is does is power cycle the plug. My view on it, if you are doing anything half hackish on a PP then that reset button isn't gonna do much for you anyway - if it's bricked your gonna have to fix it with serial console.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 01:02PM by LeggoMyEggo.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.