Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

any relation to G-Connect?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
any relation to G-Connect?
March 28, 2015 01:01PM
off Topic forum and all...
The same order I got the Pogoplug (last month) I also got a G-Technology G-CONNECT 500 GB GigE USB 2.0 Wireless Storage for iPad

On the surface, I could ask little more. I'd been pricing USB sticks, @ $40 for a 128GB and this was $10 more, 500GB hard drive, Gigabit ethernet, wireless and USB (though v2) access. Sure, the reviews were fairly toast, but no reliability issues.

And here I am, 24 hours after this started indexing the items I copied over to it. It looks like there's a long time to go too. In that 24 hours I've gotten acquainted with the company's high promises and low realities. If you're lucky it only takes one USB cable to power it, but they give you a Y-connector (my NewEgg review ought to be titled "G-connect or Y-Connect?). But I was lucky only needed one. As a USB storage drive it's normal in operation, nothing to gripe about. In this mode it doesn't get hot. But the rest isn't up to claims. The Gigabit Ethernet only works at that speed if you turn off WiFi, and that turns itself on every time you power up. If you access using Ethernet, it starts indexing, and at this point it's been 24 hours with plenty to go. It DOES have DLNA server built in but that's where it gets so hot you want to void the warranty and break the plastic case open. I can't imagine why either.

In conclusion, I might get another, as it's still a combination of one good way - plus two bad ways - to skin a cat. But if I could hack into it I'd tell it not to index every time (it only indexes when accessed with Wireless or ethernet; not when using as USB storage), and a few other little things that get my goat.

After seeing the Pogoplug picture with portable drive zip corded to its side, that's the way to run a home cloud storage me thinks.

So close, yet so far...

-UPDATE- attached is a screenshot what you see when connected to G-connect through router. No idea what the thumbnails will look like!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 01:39PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - g-connect.jpg (340.7 KB)
Re: any relation to G-Connect?
March 28, 2015 02:29PM
@Joey,

These devices tend to overheat that's why you can get it for a cheap price. Seagate had a Satellite, also ~$50. It should have a telnet back door. Install nmap on your Pogo or PC and scan the opened ports. If it shows port 23, it's likely you can log in through that port with default root account..

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
sweet!
March 28, 2015 06:06PM
Thanks a lot! I figured the G-connect had linux under the grill because of some open source credits list that I haven't fully looked at.

Before proceeding I'll make a list of the helps you've given so I don't get lost in the heat of Penguin fighting LOL

Watt-meter says it's between 5.7 and 7 watts, still runs barely warm, good there.

Oh, and attached is progress at 27 hours of indexing. Even their definition of "remaining" is backwards, but oh well, Hitachi hard drive and three ways to get to it..

So thanks again and I'll get on it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 06:11PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - 27Hours.jpg (33.8 KB)
blowout
March 28, 2015 11:39PM
After 29 hours I powered off and on and the networking went.

-UPDATE- I got it working again and won't use this from a browser, thereby eliminating the need to index.

-UPDATER- this is interesting, here are the real-world specs on transfer speed, uploading to G-connect:

Wireless n transfer: 148 kbs (note: !!! ethernet was unplugged and router is speedy/quality so there's no excuse for speeds this low!)
Ethernet with wireless off: 5.5 MB/second typical w 9MB peak
USB 2.0: 21.5 MB/second

As someone who just got a home Gigabit router after 15 years with 100 Mbps, I can tell you 20 MB/second storage access is perfectly not an issue.
So if anyone's considering buying one of these, it's more info they sure don't tell you.

Ahh :-)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 12:44AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.