Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best download manager for Pogoplug linux?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Best download manager for Pogoplug linux?
April 09, 2015 05:00PM
Webmin, Transmission and Samba almost perfectly nail its intended purpose. But webmin's download manager lacks for my needs.

I need to do a fair amount of downloading at App.Box, and need a download manager that can resume and run a list of downloads unattended.

There seems to be many options out there but some rely on Java and some Firefox. Thought you guys would know better what's a good solution?
After all, when they say the product needs Firefox or Java, you're wise to ask someone who knows better lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 05:07PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Best download manager for Pogoplug linux?
April 10, 2015 06:27AM
April 10, 2015 03:43PM
I'm not sure I understand what constitutes a GUI. Webmin and Transmission display over LAN through browser. This is great, can't ask more.
I abandoned the "Thin Client accessing Pogoplug Desktop" tangent because it now seems unnesisarry for Pogo to create a desktop shell.

So in this case I'm hoping for a GUI only as exotic as Webmin and Transmission. Make it download into Samba folder and everybody happy.

At the moment I'm investigating an Aria installation on debian here and GUI front end.

So one more critical question: When accessing a download page like this, that I intend to have Webmin install, what architecture is the Pogo then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 03:56PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 10, 2015 04:06PM
Joey,

> So one more critical question: When accessing a
> downloa
> d page like this
, that I intend to have
> Webmin install, what architecture is the Pogo
> then?

It's armel. But you don't really care if you install directly using apt-get which you should:
apt-get install aria2

OTOH, you would need to know the architecture when downloading the package itself to your box (the links listed at the bottom of the page).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
gosh
April 10, 2015 05:19PM
!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!

-update- (heh) If this dosen't get me thrown out... one more plz...

There is a GUI that runs Aria, a webpage: https://github.com/ziahamza/webui-aria2

They say to open the webpage and that hooks with Aria running in the background. Does that mean having a browser inside Linux? Or that page somewhere in the Home directory or something.

This might relate to a webmin question about the "missing plugin" page you sometimes get. put it this way, is it normal or desirable to run any kind of Java inside the plug? Or do they expect you to run that on your machine when you access it? I ask because I click on details and there's a reference to jar and java. Really at this point, with Pogo E02, what we've talked about is all I expect out of it. The rest are details that i can research and get out of your hair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 10:44PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 11, 2015 11:07AM
@Joey - to keep the threads intact and see all your thought processes... would you be preparted to start to add new posts to your threads instead of performing edits? Obviously this doesnt include typo's!

This will help others who may have the same ideas and issues and keep the flow consistent

Cheers Gravelrash
Re: gosh
April 11, 2015 05:28PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> !!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!
>
> -update- (heh) If this dosen't get me thrown
> out... one more plz...
>
> There is a GUI that runs Aria, a webpage:
> https://github.com/ziahamza/webui-aria2
>
> They say to open the webpage and that hooks with
> Aria running in the background. Does that mean
> having a browser inside Linux? Or that page
> somewhere in the Home directory or something.
>

It means there is a webserver serves as the GUI interface.

> This might relate to a webmin question about the
> "missing plugin" page you sometimes get. put it
> this way, is it normal or desirable to run any
> kind of Java inside the plug? Or do they expect
> you to run that on your machine when you access
> it? I ask because I click on details and there's a
> reference to jar and java.

Depending on that webserver GUI.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 11, 2015 06:18PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Joey - to keep the threads intact and see all
> your thought processes... would you be preparted
> to start to add new posts to your threads instead
> of performing edits? Obviously this doesnt include
> typo's!
>
> This will help others who may have the same ideas
> and issues and keep the flow consistent
>
> Cheers Gravelrash

Yeah I see your point and will try to be more direct in the future. I definitely come from a Windows background, and I'm still not sure how GUIs like Aria2's 3rd-party UI is accessed.

Typical usage, we access the Pogo via IP address/port and "see" Webmin, or Transmission. We don't do that by clicking a link, again it's an IP
trigger. So with those two apps 99% working properly, the time comes to put a GUI that is in control of the aria2 downloader and it's not so apparent how that works. Flowchart..

For instance, IF i got Aria2 and GUI working why does it work?

Possibilities:
1. I've accessed an html file located within pogoplug which turns on aria2 in the unseen realm of command line?
2. My Windows-based Firefox opens an HTML file on the Windows machine which somehow can speak through IPs to aria and tell it what to download etc..
3. Maybe it's an IP command like Webmin or something. (oh I suppose that's the same as 2)

I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 07:00PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 11, 2015 07:37PM
Joey,

> For instance, IF i got Aria2 and GUI working why
> does it work?
>
> Possibilities:
> 1. I've accessed an html file located within
> pogoplug which turns on aria2 in the unseen realm
> of command line?
> 2. My Windows-based Firefox opens an HTML file on
> the Windows machine which somehow can speak
> through IPs to aria and tell it what to download
> etc..
> 3. Maybe it's an IP command like Webmin or
> something. (oh I suppose that's the same as 2)
>
> I don't know.

If you access it through a browser then there is a webserver running . So it is just like any website, where you can do a lot depending how that html main page is coded. It could run CSS, PHP, Javascript , .... so on. And behind the scene, it could also run shell script, executing command lines,....

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
ahhh
April 11, 2015 09:28PM
Yes, I forgot there's little servers running. And when you add a "head" or graphics adapter, maybe that's another server.

This calls for some more research on my part. Command line? Errr... naw, not for me as long as possible.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.