Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Thin Client > Pogoplug: how do you access Samba?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Linux Thin Client > Pogoplug: how do you access Samba?
April 13, 2015 11:38PM
I'm thrilled a Thin Client (10ZiG 6772) running Linux can get to Pogoplug E02 (Qui's Arch and Gravelrash's Debian) with browsers. Cool!

Eventually the thought occurs to me, in Windows you'd "map a network drive" and enter the \\IP\shared, something like that, but how do you do that in Linux?
Re: Linux Thin Client > Pogoplug: how do you access Samba?
April 14, 2015 12:08AM
Joey,

Typically, in Linux you either use NFS or Samba. To share among Linux and Mac OSX use NFS, to share with Windows use SAMBA. So I would install both on the Pogoplug. And the Linux equivalent term for "mapping a network drive" is to "mount a network share".

And after you installed both and set them up manually, eventually you'd want a way to automount them. That's where autofs is great (I don't use it for USB drives , though you can if you want)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 05:38AM by bodhi.
April 14, 2015 01:14AM
Awe thanks; and additional thing I ought to do is make a live Debian USB stick to boot from the Thin Client, to illustrate where 10ZiG (Peak OS I think) is different than the other Linux iterations used around here. I've seen "mount a network share" elsewhere but not from this thin client.

Not there yet but thanks for another step forward!
April 14, 2015 03:13AM
@Joey

theres a nice little howto as a "starter for 10" here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
niiiice
April 14, 2015 06:31AM
PERFECT! I'll read that until it sticks :-)

Thank you both so much.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.