Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You Don't See One Of These To Often

Posted by LeggoMyEggo 
You Don't See One Of These To Often
April 25, 2015 01:18PM
Pogoplug Video on eBay: eBay Listing for PP Video

Beyond the fact that the Video's were recalled as a fire hazard.....................Pogoplug Video Recall

What's interesting about the Video, it's Oxnas based like the Pro but instead of built-in wireless, it has a video decoder module in the mpcie slot. Also of interest, in the place of the built-in power supply is a fan and shroud to cool the video module with the power supply being a wall wart.

A short write up of the Video is here: Pogoplug Video Review

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 01:20PM by LeggoMyEggo.
Re: You Don't See One Of These To Often
April 25, 2015 03:58PM
Interesting. I'd bet if you remove the video card, it will run just fine without the overheating problem... but why take any chance!

On a different note, the way they design the power supply in the Pogo E02/V3 is not very good. The connector is hard to push in, if you do that too often I think the soldering point inside gonna get broken.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 25, 2015 05:21PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a different note, the way they design the power
> supply in the Pogo E02/V3 is not very good. The
> connector is hard to push in, if you do that too
> often I think the soldering point inside gonna get
> broken.

My experience with regard to that is, if you don't open up your plug it's not a problem but as soon as you do it becomes an issue. I don't know why it's like that but that is what I have observed. And you are right, they should have chosen a board mounted receptacle that had a few more soldered tabs to keep it totally secured to the PS board.

Edit: Notice the date on that PP blog post? HTB that was almost 4 years ago, an ETERNITY in computer years.......and here we are still 'Plugging along with what could be considered to be disposable technology designed over 6 years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 05:27PM by LeggoMyEggo.
April 25, 2015 05:46PM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Edit: Notice the date on that PP blog post? HTB
> that was almost 4 years ago, an ETERNITY in
> computer years.......and here we are still
> 'Plugging along with what could be considered to
> be disposable technology designed over 6 years
> ago.

That's the fun part of hacking these devices! making a $15 plug performing like a $200 device in the market :))

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 25, 2015 06:23PM
bodhi Wrote:
> That's the fun part of hacking these devices!
> making a $15 plug performing like a $200 device in
> the market :))

I know, I still am kind of amazed all the sh*t you can do with one. One of my Pro's is running OpenMediaVault, hostapd, Webmin, Shairport AND MJPG_Streamer ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Whoda' thunk? Hats off to you, if it weren't for your's and Jeff's and other contributors work, none of this would be happening.
April 26, 2015 10:26PM
Ahh, so you CAN put a video decoder in the mpcie slot but it gets that hot.

Maybe a solution is an all-metal chassis that acts as a big heatsink (with fan):

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those Video models, just for experimentation. My Netgear router is blisteringly hot in 5 minutes laid down, but vertical is cool day and night.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.