Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PogoplugPro/Debian/XFCE GUI working at last! YEAH!

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
PogoplugPro/Debian/XFCE GUI working at last! YEAH!
May 08, 2015 05:49PM
Despite my inability to use Nano yet (I filled in those blanks with WinSCP) all's well and login was painless! Wow, is this COOL!

Today I opened Webmin and started uninstalling anything to do with X and whatnot, making sure dependencies were purged as well. Then did some manual deletes with WinSCP. Made regular backups and needed to call on them twice.

Then went with bodhi's instructions here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,21784
Ching, right in.

I still have to do zswap and set swappiness, but out of an abundance of caution am backing up again. Wow, you KNOW how I feel right now.

-update- swappiness set to 0 made a huge difference so far. As long as stability doesn't suffer longterm that's mighty good performance. Probably old kernel but good for now. Browser is obviously missing but at the same time I don't know why I'd want one in such a tight memory space.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 01:53AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - FirstPogoScreenshot.jpg (302.8 KB)
Re: PogoplugPro/Debian/XFCE GUI working at last! YEAH!
May 11, 2015 03:55PM
Joey,

- Set swappines it to something other than 0, such as 1,2,3

- Install midori browser
apt-get install midori

midori is usable on these plugs. As long as you don't try to stream CNN videos or something heavy like that.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 11, 2015 06:45PM
Aye aye Capt, got swappiness set to 2, and it took a few tries, but midori seems working as well. Yeah so far this seems quite usable.

As for streaming videos, that's not any problem as my connection is a hair too slow anyway (756kbps) but that brings up an almost universal problem everyone has, is a way to manage video downloads. On something a little more powerful like a ThinClient, I could get by with a basic Firefox (hmm.. forgot about Iceweasel) with Ghostery and Video DownloadHelper. Ghostery blocks everyone trying to track you and keeps it fast, and the download helper is amazing how it can get a nice MP4 through all kinds of flaky connections and whatnot.

And that's an orientation how i'll probably get the E02 configured, as that'll be on the Internet side of the LAN doing the downloads.
Also back to square one on Webmin, that's a real handy thing to have. If it weren't for that I might not have noticed installing zswap and it wasn't set to startup, unless that's by design, but I assure you I notice a bit of difference in the "headroom" of RAM usage.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 07:33PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
May 11, 2015 07:23PM
I don't personally use midori much on a remote desktop. But I do recall something like Adblock, you can find it under midori extension.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 11, 2015 07:45PM
I'd updated that above, and thank you sir! I may as well make a backup and update my PogoPlug cheat sheet with the new stuff. It's still evolving but keeps thing straight.

So attached is my makeshift PogoPlug Cheat sheet - some entries I don't plan on installing till there's more reliable storage, but maybe it'll give someone ideas. I'm still formulating categories and it might completely change.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - PogoCheatSheet.jpg (213.1 KB)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.