Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux ThinClient a drag as read-only

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Linux ThinClient a drag as read-only
May 11, 2015 01:29AM
Months ago I went to Goodwill, and out of the Thin Clients, got one I'm happiest about. It's a 10Zig 67xx, roughly 1.2Ghz processor (clocks to 1.6) and 1GB DDR3 RAM, expandable. 512 MB DOM hard drive, lots of RDP clients that love Pogoplug, and even PCI, PCIX and SATA port inside (I didn't know this till tonight). Runs PeakOS.

Tonight i had a different problem, got locked into Kiosk mode, but am out of that.

Still it seems to lack a way to get into a command line interface and i was wondering if it's easy to set Read-only to off? I bought this at Goodwill and it's for my use only. This loves Pogoplug and I'd set Pogo for Samba duties and downloading/torrents and use this in the morning/evening to get to it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 02:07AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Linux ThinClient a drag as read-only
May 11, 2015 07:32AM
sometning like...boot off DSL and navigate to the /etc/fstab file on the 10Zig unit. edit the file and modify the ro to rw

it should look something like

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 0 0
or
/dev/sda1 / ext4 noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro 0 1

when finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 07:34AM by Gravelrash.
Re: Linux ThinClient a drag as read-only
May 11, 2015 12:20PM
-update- no I didn't succeed, but learned a few things. DSL does have a Mount function, so i was able to get into user space on the DOM. Nothing fun is accessable and I suspect it's the BIOS that loads the important true fstab (more on this next paragraph)

Back to 10Zig and its PeakOS, there's a trick I learned by accident, where you can't get higher than Home, but when you try and then switch from List view to Icons it lets you in lol. Strange thing, there's nothing in fstab i.e it's 0-byte. Most other files can be opened (even a passwords file!).

So the goal on the ThinClient is to allow a Terminal and upgrade Firefox.

Thanks for advice Gravelrash, any more brainstorming do tell!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 02:32PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.