Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peak-load overclocking a Pogoplug

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Peak-load overclocking a Pogoplug
May 14, 2015 01:21PM
Though I'm not sure of the ways of Pogoplug memory management, but in the area of splitting hairs avoiding swap file use it would seem logical to get the processing over so RAM is finished with the operation. In windows you'd also need to kick DLLs out of memory and it could cause instability.

I remember lately someone mentioning you could clock the Pogoplugs higher, and I completely avoided it because there's no need to have more heat 24/7. But if it's like stepping, where it could go 10-20%, that could be a nice little boost.

-update- This is CRAZY! I'm posting this update using Midori browser within Pogoplug! Before this, when i first typed up above there, the RAM use was real low, and with Remote Desktop of course the RAM is used up. I'm not griping; that's the ways of RAM. I was about to copy paste the result running free but it's not pasting. Suffice to say it's out of RAM and 47056 into Swap. So, I doubt more processing would have changed anything there.

And please let me ramble even more off topic. We got my Debian on USB stick with goodies and life's great right? THEN a little while ago I coped the USB Debian partition to an old SATA drive. Hooked SATA cable. It wouldn't boot, and then I plugged in the USB Debian. It booted to the SATA drive! I heard the crackle of SATA doing something and unplugged the USB plug. Yes, it's running SATA right now. In-sane. Double it'll reboot but will try it now.

Wow, cray cray. So the moral of the story is, you get what you pay for, and I paid 3 x as much since foregoing the rebate :-p

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 02:34PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Peak-load overclocking a Pogoplug
May 15, 2015 03:07AM
Joey,

> Though I'm not sure of the ways of Pogoplug memory
> management, but in the area of splitting hairs
> avoiding swap file use it would seem logical to
> get the processing over so RAM is finished with
> the operation. In windows you'd also need to kick
> DLLs out of memory and it could cause instability.
>
>
> I remember lately someone mentioning you could
> clock the Pogoplugs higher, and I completely
> avoided it because there's no need to have more
> heat 24/7. But if it's like stepping, where it
> could go 10-20%, that could be a nice little
> boost.

We can't overclock these pogoplugs much. So performance gain is probably not worth reducing CPU longevity :) The Pogo V3 was safe to oveclock since people have been doing it for a while.

> -update- This is CRAZY! I'm posting this update
> using Midori browser within Pogoplug! Before this,
> when i first typed up above there, the RAM use was
> real low, and with Remote Desktop of course the
> RAM is used up. I'm not griping; that's the ways
> of RAM. I was about to copy paste the result
> running free but it's not pasting.

It could be just midori's shortcoming. Couple of years ago, it used to crash when you out of memory even with swap, so that bug was fixed!

> Suffice to say
> it's out of RAM and 47056 into Swap. So, I doubt
> more processing would have changed anything
> there.
>

Did you monitor with free or htop? In case you have not noticed, swap number includes buffer and cache, and we need to subtract them.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 18, 2015 04:46PM
I used free and generalized off that. But htop, wow, neat! I put Mint on my favorite ThinClient and came here first, installed htop and thank you once again. It reminds me of a task manager it's so thorough. So that goes on all Pogoplugs next.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 18, 2015 07:15PM
Yeah :) htop is really nice. You can set the text color so it's easy to spot something that you want to monitor. And it's a good tool to view Linux kernel processes/threads. If you ever wonder which threads spawning which, and how many children it has, memory usage,... these info are all there.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.