Advanced

Pogoplug Pulls The Plug On Free Storage Accounts On June 15th, 2015

Posted by LeggoMyEggo 
Pogoplug Pulls The Plug On Free Storage Accounts On June 15th, 2015
May 16, 2015 10:44AM
Be advised in case you didn't receive the email:

How To Download Everything From Your Account

How To Download Everything From Your Account

As of June 15th, 2015, Pogoplug will no longer support free cloud accounts. We are making this change because our service is best experienced with unlimited storage, allowing you to back up every photo, file, video and document you have. To make this transition as seamless as possible, we are extending our best deal ever to our users: now you can get unlimited storage and automatic backup for as little as $1.92/month when you purchase our 3-year plan. This change only applies to users of our cloud storage service. Pogoplug devices are unaffected, and you can continue to use your Pogoplug device normally.

If you have a free account, as of June 15th, 2015 you will be locked out of your account and you will not be able to access your files. To save your data you can either upgrade to an unlimited account, or use our backup software to easily download the contents of your account. Here’s how:

1. If you haven’t already, download our free backup software here.

2. Once the backup software is installed, sign in to your account.

3. In the left-hand navigation pane, click on “Restore”.

4. To download everything in your account, right-click on “Pogoplug Cloud” and select “Restore”, or select the folder and click on “Restore” in the menu.
The software will prompt you to select a destination folder. Choose where you would like to put your restored files.

5. To download a specific folder or file, double-click on “Pogoplug Cloud”, navigate to the desired folder and right click or select it and click on “Restore”.

6. That’s it! The software will show you the status of your download as you restore.

You can also use my.pogoplug.com or our free mobile apps to individually download files or folders, but we recommend using the backup software for downloading large files or folders, or downloading the entire contents of your account.

If you are having issues, please check out our comprehensive Knowledge Base.

This entry was posted in Everything on May 15, 2015 by Clay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 10:48AM by LeggoMyEggo.
Re: Pogoplug Pulls The Plug On Free Storage Accounts On June 15th, 2015
May 18, 2015 08:11PM
I would have just rolled my eyes and not said a word, but happened to log out of a Gmail account and see there's 15GB of free space forever there. Sure, they have other plans $2 and up per month, but still with a 15GB account I to wonder if you could make a GDrive out of a Pogoplug?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 08:18PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
May 19, 2015 12:15AM
Joey,

> I to wonder if you
> could make a GDrive out of a Pogoplug?

You can sync a Pogoplug folder with your own Google drive in the cloud, if that's what you meant.
apt-get install grive

When and if I ever run out of Dropbox storage, Gdrive will be used next to upload the new kernel/rootfs. Last time I checked, Dropbox does not support ARM, so we can't sync with it from the plugs yet. But Gdrive has been working for me in the last few years.

With what we can do with these plugs running the latest kernel, there is really no need to use Pogocloud service.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 12:20AM by bodhi.
May 20, 2015 12:10PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> apt-get install grive
>

Tried that, tried compiling from source with two different sources and I couldn't get it to work on a PP Pro.

FWIW, I tried to compile the OneDrive connector program on a Pro as well and couldn't get it to work either.

Care to share your secret to making it work?
May 20, 2015 03:09PM
LeggoMyEggo,

I'll look for my notes :).

I used a self compiled version from way back. Which version is grive now when you installed it with apt-get?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 03:14PM by bodhi.
May 20, 2015 03:20PM
bodhi Wrote:
> I used a self compiled version from way back.
> Which version is grive now when you installed it
> with apt-get?

I don't know what version popped up when I typed that. It failed to install because several of the dependencies were not available (something about "depends on blah blah but it cannot / won't be installed"). I then tried to compile from source using a couple tutorials I found doing a search. They would fail during the make portion. Maybe because of the Oxnas hybrid rootfs? I haven't tried any of this on a Kirkwood yet.
May 20, 2015 03:32PM
LeggoMyEggo,

> Maybe
> because of the Oxnas hybrid rootfs? I haven't
> tried any of this on a Kirkwood yet.

No, the rootfs is no longer hybrid when you use my uploaded basic rootfs. Did you apt-get update first? I'll try it on the PogoPro when I can get to it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 20, 2015 03:52PM
Leggo,

Also, the thought occured to me that:

- did you do dist-upgrade to jessie? if you did not, back up your rootfs and then do dist-upgrade.
- or you are still in wheezy?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 20, 2015 05:02PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Leggo,
>
> Also, the thought occured to me that:
>
> - did you do dist-upgrade to jessie? if you did
> not, back up your rootfs and then do
> dist-upgrade.
> - or you are still in wheezy?

What apt source do I have to add to upgrade to jessie? I thought you had to change your sources list in order to do the dist-upgrade.
May 20, 2015 05:18PM
Change apt source to jessie:

Backup your rootfs.

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

deb     http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib
upgrade:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Install sysvinit to boot Debian with it. If you want to boot with systemd, then don't do the next step. For now I'm staying with the old init system for Debian, so I always do this right after upgrading to jessie (I can boot with systemd easily if I'd decide to switch init system, going back and forth does not require installation of any thing more):
apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 20, 2015 05:30PM
OK, thanks for the info. Now that I think about it, for some strange reason I thought the Jessie upgrade did not work on Pro (Oxnas). But now I know..........
May 20, 2015 05:55PM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
> OK, thanks for the info. Now that I think about
> it, for some strange reason I thought the Jessie
> upgrade did not work on Pro (Oxnas). But now I
> know..........

You recalled correctly! It did not work on kernel 3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1. So I've added the needed config option in kernel 3.18.5-oxnas-tld-1.

EDIT: corrected the version numbers.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 06:08PM by bodhi.
May 20, 2015 11:03PM
hmmmm - if you have got systemd and sysvinit working on the Pro - i wonder how long it will be before the archlinuxarm chaps will be before they reintroduce support for the Pro there.?
May 21, 2015 12:07AM
@Gravelrash,

I'm guessing it's not just systemd. They are a real organization (down stream from Arch), and want to do everything that gears toward mainline, with the goal to mainline all the patches, IMO. Perhaps they don't like the patches and don't have time to work on different patches?

OTOH, I don't care much about seeing the patches get uppstream, if it ever get there then it's great, if not it's OK.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 21, 2015 12:20AM
bodhi Wrote:
> @Gravelrash,
>
> I'm guessing it's not just systemd. They are a
> real organization (down stream from Arch), and
> want to do everything that gears toward mainline,
> with the goal to mainline all the patches, IMO.
> Perhaps they don't like the patches and don't have
> time to work on different patches?

Let's face reality, their level of interest in a device that's currently not manufactured (and probably hasn't been for at least four years) and has proprietary aspects with no manufacturer support (with the original SOC manufacturer bought out) is probably not very much. I'm not saying it's impossible but I doubt it's very likely which is unfortunate as I have found out the Oxnas variant is probably the better device. Add those issues to the fact there are just so many economical and well supported alternatives out there now................

Regardless, I am thankful for all the updating you have done bodhi.
May 21, 2015 12:58AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> hmmmm - if you have got systemd and sysvinit
> working on the Pro - i wonder how long it will be
> before the archlinuxarm chaps will be before they
> reintroduce support for the Pro there.?

I'd test one more Arch on Pro, though I'd limit myself to that and no more for a while due to limited cognitive ability - might be a good test with XFCE and see which bottoms out quicker.

As for GDrive, shouldn't be long and I can help test it - honestly at that point Pogoplugs might make an excellent gift to relatives who use GMail - I'd strongly consider it. Also i wonder if some of the glitches you're having are related to Google's supposedly tighter security lately?

The other mainstream use I see for modified Pogoplugs are what I call a "router buddy". The idea that any router with an RJ45 jack can have all the benefits of anything a modified Pogoplug can do... instant Samba including a folder with a browser bookmark containing links to all the browser-based apps - you're pretty much there technically so i shouldn't have mentioned it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 01:20AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
May 21, 2015 01:04AM
Leggo,

Agree. It is really nice cost/performance. At 850Mhz dual core (to be precise, dual issue), it has the same juice as the $150-200 range NSA325v2 at 1.6Ghz :) if you add SATA (perhaps $10 more for cable) then it's almost in the same league as the NSA325v2, except for RAM (with Wifi it's traded off well as a portable device while the NSA325 is not).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 21, 2015 01:11AM
The day one of us gets a small, cheap SSD that works on the mPCIE slot is the day we all do I bet. Fast swap.
I pulled both wirelesses out but never checked to see if any software is running that's associated with it - that'd be a waste if that's happening.
Anyway I'll go to bed and get out of yer way :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
May 21, 2015 01:21AM
bodhi Wrote:
> Leggo,
>
> Agree. It is really nice cost/performance. At
> 850Mhz dual core (to be precise, dual issue), it
> has the same juice as the $150-200 range NSA325v2
> at 1.6Ghz :) if you add SATA (perhaps $10 more for
> cable) then it's almost in the same league as the
> NSA325v2, except for RAM (with Wifi it's traded
> off well as a portable device while the NSA325 is
> not).

I wish someone would come out with a self contained ~$50 Pogoplug Pro like device with a 1.6GHZ Marvell single or dual core, Gigabit Ethernet, 1GB or RAM, a SD slot, a couple USB 3.0 ports, on-board PCI-e slot and an eSATA port that supported port multiplication. I could care less about GPIO and NAND storage. That IMO would make a great build your own NAS device. The PP V4 came close to this but no PCI-e, a slow processor, not enough RAM and not all in one like Pro. Only thing that comes close at that price point is some of the Allwinner stuff but AFAIK does not support port multiplication and AW's proprietary nature does not lend itself well to full kernel support. Sigh.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 01:23AM by LeggoMyEggo.
May 21, 2015 03:06AM
Leggo,

The Odroid C1 comes close to it. But when it's all said and done it's more than $50.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 21, 2015 11:00AM
bodhi Wrote:

>
> apt-get install grive
>

OK that worked after upgrading to Jessie. However, during sync I get this:

Reading local directories
Synchronizing folders
exception: /build/grive-GzBXNA/grive-0.2.0/libgrive/src/http/CurlAgent.cc(149): Throw in function long int gr::http::CurlAgent::ExecCurl(const string&, gr::http::Receivable*, const gr::http::Header&)
Dynamic exception type: N5boost16exception_detail10clone_implIN2gr4http5ErrorEEE
std::exception::what: std::exception
[PN2gr4expt6MsgTagE] =
[PN2gr4http11CurlCodeTagE] = 0
[PN2gr4http15HttpResponseTagE] = 400
[PN2gr4http6UrlTagE] = https://docs.google.com/feeds/default/private/full/-/folder?max-results=50&showroot=true
[PN2gr4http9HeaderTagE] = Authorization: Bearer weriojs8dfgawoertnj2435o;gnjlsng./awr;werljkqweroiuqwe
GData-Version: 3.0

Any ideas?
May 21, 2015 03:47PM
Leggo,

No idea! this version is much newer than the one I've used way back. I would have to try this to see what's going on.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 21, 2015 04:53PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Leggo,
>
> No idea! this version is much newer than the one
> I've used way back. I would have to try this to
> see what's going on.

In a search for solutions, it might have something to do with Google changing API's last month. At least that is what I could gleen from some posts at other sites. I am going to try it on Intel platform running Wheezy and see it it's the same issue.
May 21, 2015 04:58PM
Leggo,

Let me know. I could compile the latest from GitHub if it is newer than the one in Debian repo.

Git version:

Grive v0.3: Bug fix & minor feature release

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 05:03PM by bodhi.
May 21, 2015 06:26PM
Someone has reported the Google API change recently:

https://github.com/Grive/grive/issues/310

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.