Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-edited II- Thin Client PCIe/RAM tangent

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
-edited II- Thin Client PCIe/RAM tangent
May 26, 2015 11:11PM
As far as a ThinClient that will run Ubuntu-based Mint but will not get off the ground with any Debian flavor, for now I've decided to keep Mint XFCE as the primary USB install. Being cheap I only bought one stick (1G) of RAM making it 2Gb total. How does this fit into Pogoplug's world you might ask? Running at 1066 MHz is less processing than any Pogplug, and I've learned that even with 2Gigs of fast RAM, the bottleneck is the CPU.moreso than using swap file.

I scratched an earlier idea about what it takes to get a USB 3 port, takes connectors, power supplies and hopefully the controller has UASP or it'll be slow for being USB 3.0. Instead, one of my front-burner goals for the next few months will be to get small SSD drives to plug directly into the mpcie slots of the PogoplugPro, and configure it simply.

Still a lot of work to be done but doing it in a vacuum is a real luxury and thanks once again to everyone.

Oh yeah, share some of what I've learned:

1. No matter what, TinyCore and Mint install to every appliance that has an input
2. Mint has no pre-configured firewall! @#$%#@
3. -nice settings (bodhi mentioned that and now I see) and launching Task Manager as sudo can really make temp apps run great (SuperTuxCart lol). htop is indispensable too.
4. Webmin works on itself too, use the browser to get into it, bookmark it.

As for the Pogoplugs, there's three steps i have to take and at least one will be on 24/7 for a long time. Stuff i have to work out.
THANKS AGAIN!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 12:04AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - 10ZigPCIEThing.jpg (398.7 KB)
Re: -edited II- Thin Client PCIe/RAM tangent
June 10, 2015 03:27PM
Hi Joe

Once you go plug and thinclient you never go back :) - well its true in my case...
June 12, 2015 03:56PM
Absolutely, I'm okay if one computer is a fire-breathing dragon, but since 98% of my computer's time are spent on tasks that Plugs and Thins can handle, no sense running 100+ watts when 5-10 will do the job :-)
If I can get Deluge working on Pogoplug (haven't tried yet) and IP tables squared away, E02 is ready for 24/7!

Say gravelrash, do you run any kind of firewall or IPtables on your plugs?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
June 14, 2015 03:35PM
Joey,

> Running at 1066 MHz is less processing
> than any Pogplug, and I've learned that even with
> 2Gigs of fast RAM, the bottleneck is the
> CPU.moreso than using swap file.
>

Very true! I think you'll be surprised to find how much it improves just with 1.6 GHz plug and 512MB RAM running Debian. So the plugs like NSA325 is a step up that makes quite a non-trivial performance improvement. Or the rPI 2, if you don't care for Gbit ethernet, would be a jump in performance from to our Kirkwood/Oxnas plugs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 17, 2015 07:57AM
@Joey

sorry for such a long time in coming back to you. i have been busy with my other projects - classic scooter restoration - I run iptables on one of my plugs and i use it to capture http traffic and send it to an adblocker.
June 20, 2015 09:15PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... if you don't care for
> Gbit ethernet, would be a jump in performance from
> to our Kirkwood/Oxnas plugs.

I'll bite when that happens, as MS Windows supposedly offers a free version of Win10 for Pi2 (not that I'd use it but it illustrates corporate interest), but as owner of Skype, MS will probably wake up quick realizing the bandwidth potential of Gigabit. Even ISPs will see dollar signs with higher traffic demands. The Pi is a watershed moment, but lack of Gigabit and awful 5v spec shows it leaves you wanting more. On the 5v spec, I don't see why they'd do that. There are 5v power supplies everywhere for phone chargers but none really have the Amps, while I have a box filled with efficient 12v power supplies from Netgear, Linksys, on and on. They power my ThinClients so I'm not convinced the Pi is such an altruistic venture after all. Around here the electric companies used to sell electric appliances for some reason lol 100 Mbps as the ins and outs of a quadcore and a gigabyte of RAM in 2015... it's insulting!

Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Joey
>
> sorry for such a long time in coming back to you.
> i have been busy with my other projects - classic
> scooter restoration - I run iptables on one of my
> plugs and i use it to capture http traffic and
> send it to an adblocker.

Yeah have at 'er. I never get anything done computer wise in the Summer, but this is a usable system. My DSL is a noisy line and there's little I can do about it. When it rains there are outdoor landline boxes that get wet internally and act capacitive. It's somewhat illegal to fix them and the phone company won't. The good news is, Linux for some reason has more stable networking.

Lots of fun guys, high-five!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 11:11PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.