Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rejoice - they make powerstrips with individual switches

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Rejoice - they make powerstrips with individual switches
September 02, 2015 01:22PM
I've got four wall-power switch boxes around 15" front to back, add the plugin part, and there's always one plugin that goes 3" further when space is limited. Two of those units have eyesore lights and the other two only have four unit switches. And you always need 5 LOL
And while there are great places to use such behemoths, you're mostly limited to out of the way places. Sure you can run 5 extension cords, but that's unsettling.

As i live in a small town, you don't see these at the gas station convenience store, but if anyone else's situation would benefit, my search terms were: power strip with individual switches.

Made my day because, while I don't have a problem leaving a Pogoplug running for ages, it makes sense where possible to have a ThinClient/Monitor next to it and completely turn those off 99% of the time.

While we're in the Off Topic forum, anyone else find a great solution to nagging problem?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Thanksgiving-worthy even
November 26, 2015 01:26PM
Pretty nice to discover these at Menards. Mine were about $3.80 apiece and I got four for the time being.

What's even cooler is, the adapters you can hook these into and make a custom switchboard of sorts. And to think they're replaceable one at a time should a problem arise. Furthermore you can use these on powerstrips with that have noise filtering in addition to spike protection.

Free advice: at Menards they had two colors, a sick beige and white. I advise to get the sick beige because the other one is sick white once you get home LOL Blinding. Also don't worry about the models with a red light in the switch, it's not bright nor distracting. Kind of soothing actually.

I'll be organizing wires a while, excuse me...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 01:28PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - CooperPluginSwitch.jpg (62.7 KB)
Re: Rejoice - they make powerstrips with individual switches
December 11, 2015 10:16PM
Here is one with 6 switches:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119283

Thanks for reminding me to get one! I would need to use these switches quite often during testing u-boots. But the price never seems to be right. Now it is :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Thanksgiving-worthy even
December 12, 2015 10:00AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty nice to discover these at Menards. Mine
> were about $3.80 apiece and I got four for the
> time being.
>
I went to Menards and could not find the above item you mentioned. Can you please provide the link?

One of these days, I will be replacing some outlets at some rather dark places, i.e. hall way, etc., in around my house with an outlet that has a built-in USB port with an ON/OFF switch and/or light sensor. This way, I can plug in this USB Flexible LED lights to light up some rooms during the night hours. Currently, I put one in a very dark hall way for testing with a USB charger from a smartphone and it lights up the hallway like a 10 Watts florescent tube. According to this USB Current/Voltage Tester, my USB Flexible LED lights consumes about 0.16 A @4.82 VDC (approximately 771.2 mWatts)!
December 12, 2015 01:01PM
@ bodhi yeah the Rosewill is the one, and priced nicer since you've found it. That extra $4 it costs to load a PayPal (and the mandatory $20 minimum) pushes my post-heart-failure budget over the top. I have relatives who are buying a hardware store and I emailed them saying "if you stock anything get lots of these!". I have no doubt home NAS/cloud use will dramatically increase when everything is manageable. To me "manageable" means you can be walking by with a coffee in one hand and hit a switch with another.

@ habibie two weeks before I saw those in Menards they didn't have any. So it must be a somewhat newer-stocked item. I threw the packaging away but this is real similar at WalMart. I did search Menards website and they had the same item number but picture of a larger switch with no red light. Weird.

Still not there yet! Now I need:
1. A little rack to put in three Pogoplugs, couple routers, network switch, couple external drives and probably something else. The Rosewill would be great draped across the front or back. I've been toying with the idea of a mirror behind it, in there, because you need indicator lights but you need access to the cables without tearing everything apart as well. I could read the lights backwards LOL

2. Short ethernet cables! Not 3 and 6 feet anymore! Desktop spaghetti (spaghetto?) has got to go :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 12, 2015 02:34PM
@JoeyPogoPlugE02: Thank you for the link. It looks good to me, except the price is rather expensive, unfortunately.
December 12, 2015 09:43PM
Sorry habibie,but here is the Menards listing of the same model number I bought, but their picture doesn't look like the ones I bought, see attachment above: Menards

$3.80 apiece and smart to start with at least get two, because you might find yourself checking the width of various powerstrips and adapters because there really are clever ways to rig these so wires are out of the way.

Back to conventional powerstrips, really if they had the power switch on the other end, I'd plug 6 into another power strip and be done with it, more plugins that way and you know they're never over a few watts anyway. But noooo.

==========
FUN FACTS about Menards!
==========

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 09:57PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
December 13, 2015 07:23AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry habibie,but here is the Menards listing of
> the same model number I bought, but their picture
> doesn't look like the ones I bought, see
> attachment above:
> [url=http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring
> -devices/plugs/white-plug-in-cord-switch/electrica
> l/wiring-devices/plugs/white-plug-in-cord-switch/p
> -1444427450484.htm;jsessionid=1A1B23BB38C6DFCF4472
> FFC923B293B2.eklka-prodapp4-external-mcom]Menards[
> /url]
>
Thank you. At least, the price is less than what Walmart charges for a similar product. I was lurking around AliExpress and was hoping to find similar items in a US $1 range. Perhaps, I search using some wrong key words. :(
December 24, 2015 02:14PM
habibie, my last trip to a Habitat For Humanity ReStore, they had two for sale, one possibly used, but the action is the best yet. That was $1. The other one was $2.50 in the box, and has a big flap for a switch handle,. I bought both, and at $3.50 that makes it around half price.
Hopefully there will be more at places like that. I never expected to see those there and was only going through electrical for adapters.
The $1 one has the nicest mechanical integrity of all of them.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 24, 2015 08:49PM
Thank you.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.