Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo-based family calender?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Pogo-based family calender?
September 20, 2015 05:21PM
Pogoplug/Linux would seem the PERFECT server for a family calender - births and deaths alone something family members can access and see the birthdays and last days of our loved ones..

I'm showing a preference to the Linux calender Maya as it seems light and good looking, easy to make a forever loop and exportable. I'd be wise to check if there's a Windows/OSX calender you can import Maya database if necessary, but for now...

I know it's a good idea especially with the most efficient little home server, but not sure how to implement. You'd have to port forward your router for relatives to access, right? Maybe install a group in Linux called Relatives, allow group access to Maya.

-update- Maya was made known to me evaluating a bunch of unfamiliar live Linux distributions today using a USB stick, and as alternativeto.net says:

"Maya is a slim, lightweight, GCal-syncing GTK+ Calendar application written in Vala, specifically for Small elementary OS iconelementary OS . Also looks and works great on other GTK+ desktops."

Me too, I love the look and want to keep family details safe from malicious entities.

Any interest?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 05:31PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Pogo-based family calender?
September 23, 2015 03:00PM
you would need to port forward on your router to the plug OR create a DMZ if your router has that capability

following links may help you

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/light-webserver

https://serverfault.com/questions/124800/how-to-setup-linux-permissions-for-the-www-folder

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/raspberrypi-webserver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 03:04PM by Gravelrash.
niice
September 25, 2015 01:52PM
Thanks a lot Gravelrash - the installs you helped with still run strong - I'll read these over and over because it's high time to forward the port :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 28, 2015 02:01PM
you are welcome Joey, i help you in the hope that you will help others
October 15, 2015 12:13PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you are welcome Joey, i help you in the hope that
> you will help others

The year was 1997, and I'd gotten my first Windows computer. I was already going to University so I asked a couple questions about dialing-in. The computer lab was helpful. Then I asked more questions, and more, mind you their advice had my home computer working pretty nice. One day I walked into the computer lab and there was a sign saying, to paraphrase: "Joe, you specifically, quit bugging us with questions". So I went to the lab director and told him "I get it, but let's make a deal: This is a big computer lab and you get up to help someone with a problem many times an hour. How's this, whatever you teach me, I'll help them with from now on, anytime I'm in the lab. He said "sure" and this went on for 3-4 years and I joined a University computer volunteer group who put-together windows machines for day cares and all kinds of stuff.

So yeah it's in my DNA to help anyone with a problem I've had. My only regret, hindsight, I should have gotten an actual job in the lab because that would have been great on a resume the following decade and a half, oh well. Young people, listen! Now get off my lawn LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
October 17, 2015 02:44AM
Joey,

> He said "sure" and this went on for 3-4 years
> and I joined a University computer volunteer group
> who put-together windows machines for day cares
> and all kinds of stuff.

Good for you! I used to work at a community college as lab assistant, too :) my successful interview with the lab manager was exactly one question, one answer :)) heady days...

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 18, 2015 08:54PM
Some of the best days of my life (so far). One of the lab assistants was a nice, shy woman who confided to me she had a "crush" on another assistant. So I went to him and I'm like "____ she has a crush on you man, SWOOP! Don't screw this up! (LOL). And they've been married now for 14 years.

Sure we're off topic, and with your permission let's pull off this highway and find a picnic table.

There's two things that lab taught me that I'd still like to find a way to accomplish.

1. Those tables you put two together and it's a 6-sided computer lab pod? I'd like to find a way to have at least two of those tables with computers and screens. To that end I have a few Thin Clients that might make it possible. just need a location and the rest should fall into place. Yes, even if everyone had iPads, tablets and all that, a properly configured workstation with people around to help, would do a community good.

2. One fault of Linux, the only real one. People screw up and whack an installation without knowing it. I really wish there was a solution like for Windows where you could image a drive so in 5 minutes flat it's restored. Right now the idea came to me, if a workstation was rigged so a person would log into virtual machines, that's a way, but for their own machines too there must abe a way. Some bootable restore method. Admittedly I haven't' researched as much in that area.

Always appreciate a brainstorm, or memories on the boulevard of perpetual upgrades :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
October 18, 2015 11:22PM
Joey,

To make disk image, there are a couple ways:

- Use Clonezilla: http://clonezilla.org
- Use Linux dd command

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 20, 2015 12:45PM
sweet!
October 21, 2015 12:43AM
I'll go through all that and have a goal to make sense of it by the weekend.
Outstanding just from what I see here!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Mike Hicks
October 27, 2015 02:26PM
Every day the application for Android Showbox is becoming more popular. And its popularity is fully justified:
In the first place. App Show box has a huge database of movies, your favorite TV shows and cartoons. http://www.showboxforpc.net/
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.