Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FTP client with Web UI

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
FTP client with Web UI
October 21, 2015 11:16AM
Anything you'd consider for an E02 running Debian, headless with web UI?

I love Transmission's ability to keep running after the Web UI disconnects, and sometimes there's a need to upload a Blu-Ray worth of content. For FTP a person would want explicit SSL/TLS.

But it's fairly crickets out there when it comes to FTP questions. I could imagine a lot of reasons why, for one, you'd think most Pogoplug people would want more of a server than client, but there's the occasional person like me where the primary Internet connection is slow, and you can still upload a lot of stuff in the hours you're otherwise sleeping.

:-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: FTP client with Web UI
October 22, 2015 08:38AM
aria2 - i believe has a webgui and functions with ftp as well
October 22, 2015 02:29PM
Wow thanks a lot. I was able to get it installed (the armel version) but the dependencies had sources list problems.
So I'll go another round next opportunity. After seeing the GUI this looks to pretty much equate the best I could expect out of a Pogoplug. FWIW, last night JoeyZilla tried registering at FileZilla forums to ask if it's possible to get a Web UI to talk to FileZilla running headless, but they are hard-nosed about you registering from Hotmail or Gmail accounts, so what the heck I tried.

Globally though, the whole world saves a lot of electricity if file transfers don't require a graphics adapter to be on, or XFCE to be running if indeed that's true. So for now I'll try to explore both ways and see what's what.

Your advice is closer than anything I could get and indeed it might be the proper answer. Anyone interested or have additional methods don't be shy :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
ye olde sidetrack
October 22, 2015 04:13PM
Gents, help me with this one and I'll be out of your hair.

I've got FileZilla installed and it works to the server i wanted to connect to. This accessed through RDP from a Windows machine and XFCE running. Unless/until there's a headless way to do the same thing, can I turn off the high-watt Windows machine still and it keeps going?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
October 23, 2015 05:42AM
doesn't fit lol
October 23, 2015 11:45PM
Pretty sure that's for like if you have a GoDaddy site or something, you'd copy it in the folder hierarchy and find it somehow. If I read that right. Not that a Pogoplug/Debian is so far removed, but you'd think running in Pogoplug you'd want this somehow started with a start command.
If you/me nails this, a headless FTP, it's convenient for us and green for the world.

Just thinking out loud, but my energies are going to gravitate doing three things:
1. More research on how to make aria2 compatible. It's got rave reviews and if it runs it can also be used as a plugin for uGet.
I also haven't researched if the dependencies that are to be changed over would affect Transmission. Better a bird in the hand for now.

2. (more along the lines of trivia) See if FileZilla can be queued for a multi-payload send or receive (from Windows/RDP), and see if it can be started with command line after reboot and XFCE off. Pros: doing this by GUI is much easier, Cons: meh

3. Again see if net2FTP will run on Pogoplug - I tried some of this afternoon, went with the lite install and used WinSCP to drop off the folder and CHMOD that temp folder to whatever (777?) they specified, but my FTP commands didn't wake it up LOL

4. convince the Transmission people to include FTP function with SSL/TLS... (just day dreaming out loud) I don't expect to do that, man all those people did a brilliant job with Transmission running torrents. Mine has no real bugs to speak of.

In deference to Murphy's Law I prefer FTP over torrents, as the receiver gets fully working parts whether it's pictures, media or anything else. If a connection is going to fail, and it will (say a relative sends pictures for me to restore), FTP has anything from the first file to 99% that can be seized upon. Torrents it's all or nothing. True you can set priority higher for individual files in torrents but that takes manual labor.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 12:17AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Super Joy
October 28, 2015 12:46PM
Wow guys, order has appeared out of chaos. I learned something that may be of importance to other Linux newbs.

With FileZilla installed and configured using RDP to XFCE, if you close the RDP connection it'll still run, and you can RDP later to check on it. The same session will open. This might sound humorous to those who know, but in the past whatever I was doing (maybe closing the GUI from the applications menu) resulted in a new session without FileZilla right in up top.

Now the pressure is off and I can learn the nuts and bolts at leisure. What a great day and thanks a million Gravelrash!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.