Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tablets to interface with a PogoLAN?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Tablets to interface with a PogoLAN?
November 14, 2015 01:32PM
The next step in my journey is to get an inexpensive tablet(s) to interface with the NAS. Although there are insane deals Black Friday, traditionally I sleep in and don't have any jing anyway. But $30 mini tablets and such make this something to be aware of and plan accordingly.

At this point it would be great to use a tablet to read eBooks, listen to music, or dive into a lot of video tutorials I've stockpiled.

Thought I'd ask, as I'm completely, 100% newb in the area of tablets and even cell phones. I don't want a phone plan.

Sorry I post so much, but a NAS eventually inspires intuitive access!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Tablets to interface with a PogoLAN?
November 14, 2015 02:43PM
Joey,

> Sorry I post so much, but a NAS eventually
> inspires intuitive access!

Au contraire, I'm sure your questions are helpful to many others who found this forum, too :)

Using an Android tablet, you can connect to the plug with Samba and access everything just like on Windows/Mac/Linux PC. So whatever you do right now is pretty much applicable. There are a lot of free Apps that together do the same functions that the PC does. Except that the small tablet won't have enough memory or the horse power of the PC.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 15, 2015 04:09PM
i second what bodhi said

I use a few tablets / phone devices on the kit i have installed for others. and if you think of them as an all in one PC with a touch interface then all is possible - there are some tablets/phones that can be mad to and do run a variety of linuxen.

Had no issues to speak of with the tablets starting from a single core A10 to a multicore iMX, as long as you download the appropriate/suitable app for the task at hand then alls good...... one app you may be interested in looking at is one that controls the transmission-server.
YEAH!
November 16, 2015 12:37PM
Thanks for the inspiration! Yeah my requirements aren't very diverse, but given a budget and choice, I'd go with a quadcore and at least 10" screen. Denied a budget and choice I'm going with whatever I can get my grubs on. eBay has drool-worthy new offerings like the QC 10" in the $70 range, shipped from the US. Android being the most popular OS I can see, perhaps naively I'm having a download of android-x86-5.1-rc1 to see if it works as a "Live CD" on one of the x86 machines around here, and strongly advising myself to try it in VMware first. If it does work, that'll help a lot to prepare.

At this point I'm not sure if my pennies are best saved toward hard disc storage or a tablet, but I'll start backing everything up to older discs as a hedge to make decisions simpler LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 16, 2015 05:31PM
I got this one for 59 USD . With shipping and tax it end up at around $69. It was a one day sale, but thing like this usually come around again on Woot

http://computers.woot.com/offers/famous-maker-10-1-16gb-android-tablet-5.

It's a HP 10 tablet
November 16, 2015 11:31PM
I wonder why the 32GB SD card limit, or if that's a FAT 32 spec? This is the kind of thing you'd want to boot OSs from the SD card, and have super lean & mean for pseudo ThinClient > server and another fat with a colorful holiday theme. Town & Country modes lol

Not a bad score at all laprjns! So is this the kind of thing those little power battery stations are for, if the power goes low can you plug one in and get more time? I've always wanted to go camping in the sticks with a computer and get some work done with nature in the background. Plan A used to include a deep cycle battery to keep a laptop from running out of juice. But this way I could take other things, like water and food.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 11:33PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
November 18, 2015 04:56AM
there are a couple of reasons why most devices top out at 32Gb

price point of flash memory and the capabilities of the chip architecture, thats also why you dont see many - well thats starting to change - with more than 2Gb memory.

oh and the andoid-x86 had it running on a dell netbook at 4.4.* for a while and its ok
November 18, 2015 02:16PM
Oh.. I thought it meant a limit to an SD card you'd insert.
I was able to get the yesterday version of Android to run live in VESA mode on a somewhat older HP dualcore laptop. Not a fan of the interface (and it went sideways after a while) but it looks like most of what I could ask for is there, not sure about efficient video playing. On thin Clients I really like SMPlayer, as it's the most efficient and higher frames and if you know otherwise do tell!

Maybe some day we could devise a yard & garden Debian tablet for just such an occasion :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.