Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DISH receiver (only for home LAN or external storage)

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
DISH receiver (only for home LAN or external storage)
January 20, 2016 11:47PM
My DISH receiver is bought, not rented. Supposedly mine according to a receipt.

From Dish's perspective, they offer a $40 DVR "feature" where they activate your ability to record their movies on your external hard drive which is plugged into a USB slot in the back. There's also a handy RJ45 receptacle on the back and I've gotten it to at least respond to PuTTY.
That's not what I want, just saying.

The TV is older and I don't watch that much, but it'd be nice to access the home cloud either with Plex running on the other end or drag movies to an external hard drive that you have to buy yourself.

There's no way I'd be interested in tampering with Dish's services, but the hardware is mine and I'm suffering from an entitlement complex - I can't so much as watch family videos made 40 years ago unless I've got PC next to it with fans blazing and headphone-out audio.

I don't expect a solution, but thought to bring it up. I already bought a ROKU box at a thrift store to watch programming over LAN but it's likely shot, or my lone 5v 2.5 A power supply is shot.

Oh, by the way, my DISH receiver takes up 23 watts when on, and 20 watts OFF! Serious, when it goes into power saving mode, that only shaves off three watts all night. If you think that' bad, online there are a lot of irate people who have higher end DISH receivers taking up 60 watts!
So I'd tweak the power settings as well.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 12:47AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: DISH receiver (only for home LAN or external storage)
January 21, 2016 06:47AM
this may be up your street. you could even use one of your thinclients to do the "heavy lifting"

https://tvheadend.org/
January 21, 2016 11:30AM
Thanks for that resource. I'm glad they address potential bottlenecks to avoid, such as some devices sharing internal bandwidth, such as:

This is particularly true of systems such as the Raspberry Pi which share USB bandwidth with the Ethernet port. Don't be surprised if this kind of platform struggles and/or reports errors in a multi-tuner configuration, especially on high-bandwidth (e.g. HD) streams.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 21, 2016 07:32PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this may be up your street. you could even use one
> of your thinclients to do the "heavy lifting"
>
> https://tvheadend.org/
>
Probably, you can have your PogoPlug to host tvheadend, too.
January 22, 2016 01:02AM
If the powers that be ever get a quadcore gigabit CocanutCreamPi together I have a feeling that's the media center to have. They're close at the moment. But the bottleneck margins of Pogoplug are so close (meaning the recent overclock had one member not seeing ANY increase in SATA/USB 3.0 performance) I can't see transcoding happening with one. Even my best ThinClient has un-synced audio and video after a while. But to be fair, the monitor is pretty high resolution and the TV only needs to be 800 x 600. Last of the CRT TVs and I like it.

The Pogos should support mini DLNA like any router would, which is saying a lot, but I might be wise and just hold out for another Roku box on the TV side of it. For those who don't know, the Roku is a well loved box between the stream and the TV. Last I checked it was 5,000 reviews and almost all were 5-stars.

Kind of a pity the 5v 2+ amp power supplies required by Roku and fruit Pis, not as easy to find as the 12 volt PS's everything else uses. There's actually a lot of used Rokus for sale around $20 but without power supply, same as mine and it doesn't work.

And without getting too partisan here, as we all know, it's an election year in the States. More than ever I'd like to tune into my own media collection and less on a sabre rattling choreograph of media giants.

habibie I've got a few late Winter purchases ahead on my ToDo list, but I'm with you the idea for some kind of tablet for the Home media Cloud. So many quadcore models too. I'll get some hard drives together first though.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 01:09AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 22, 2016 02:31AM
IMO, the best media center PC right now is the Chromebook/Chromebox at $US 100-200 range. Or doing a little more works for less buck at $US 50-100 is the rPi 2.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 22, 2016 06:33AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> If the powers that be ever get a quadcore gigabit
> CocanutCreamPi together I have a feeling that's
> the media center to have. They're close at the
> moment. But the bottleneck margins of Pogoplug are
> so close (meaning the recent overclock had one
> member not seeing ANY increase in SATA/USB 3.0
> performance) I can't see transcoding happening
> with one. Even my best ThinClient has un-synced
> audio and video after a while. But to be fair, the
> monitor is pretty high resolution and the TV only
> needs to be 800 x 600. Last of the CRT TVs and I
> like it.
>
Do you have any Seagate DockStar and/or GoFLEX NET/Home around? Instead of clocked @800 MHz, these are clocked @1.2 GHz and perhaps will be powerful enough.

> habibie I've got a few late Winter purchases ahead
> on my ToDo list, but I'm with you the idea for
> some kind of tablet for the Home media
> Cloud
. So many quadcore models too. I'll get
> some hard drives together first though.
>
Before proceed to the project, please also take into consideration the device already has a built-in Li-ION battery. Will it be a good idea to have the device connected to a power 24/7 that constantly charges the Li-ION battery @ 24/7? Regardless, I sure would like to see how it turns out.
January 22, 2016 06:57AM
May be this Azpen 7" HD Android Tablet - HD LCD, Quad-Core Processor, 1024x600, 8GB, Quad Core Cortex A7, 0.3MP, Andorid 4.4 KitKat 30 day Office Suite FREE - A742 $29.99 + S/H will fit your budget? The only thing distracts me with this tablet is it only comes with a 512 MB RAM!
January 22, 2016 10:20AM
I have run a similar spec tablet as a media access device and i can honestly say that with the tight apps its a cracking device to use. You can also free up some of the memory uf you really need to by using a swap file.

good bang for the buck - my younger relatives have similar spec devices
January 22, 2016 10:12PM
Nice choices gents, yeah that little KitKat quadcore is something a neighbor kid had a couple years ago and it's pretty amazing what that will do. He could get wireless I couldn't and Id leave a home computer network share through my wireless for that family. You can get to root on it too as-is and it can't be hard because I was able to and you know I have the Linux tech skill of an ashtray. . just sayin

Chromebook too, man I hope to live to see the day I can run one of those for a year. Get an extra battery and go camping (education is lifelong). I must be Grasshopper Geek when I'd rather watch tutorials about Docker or something lol

As for the GoFlexes, I'm more confused than ever. Is the RAM same as Pogoplug? Don't get me wrong, my Pogoplugs are treasures to me and I've both learned a lot and have some useful plans for each of them. Probably a little XAMPP w Wordpress for the Pogoplug 4 (neighborhood blog) but I'm all ears if you see possibilities.

Hey how does this look? One for now and one soon thereafter, then container like GoFlex the right one or the dual dock and then I can maybe get a tablet. I think I've got my pennies saved to $70, but I'd still blow it on a 2TB external if Best Buy was nuts enough to have one Sunday...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 22, 2016 11:06PM
> As for the GoFlexes, I'm more confused than ever.
> Is the RAM same as Pogoplug? Don't get me wrong,
> my Pogoplugs are treasures to me and I've both
> learned a lot and have some useful plans for each
> of them. Probably a little XAMPP w Wordpress for
> the Pogoplug 4 (neighborhood blog) but I'm all
> ears if you see possibilities.

RAM are all the same on these plugs, DDR2. All have 128MB, except the E02 has 256MB and sheevaplug has 512MB.

Zyxel's NSA3xx boxes are different, those are small NASes, RAM are of various specs and size.

Used Chromebooks can be found for good prices (lower US$ 100s).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 11:07PM by bodhi.
January 23, 2016 09:14AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Ultrastar-HUA
> 722020ALA330-2TB-32MB-7200RPM-3-5-SATA3-0Gb-s-Hard
> -Drive-/181795400815?hash=item2a53d9ac6f:g:tzkAAOS
> wpDdU9zqP]Hey how does this look?[/url] One for
> now and one soon thereafter, then container like
> GoFlex the right one or the dual dock and then I
> can maybe get a tablet. I think I've got my
> pennies saved to $70, but I'd still blow it on a
> 2TB external if Best Buy was nuts enough to have
> one Sunday...
>

What about this [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=8458021&SID=f5387738c1e211e591f6c29ed7d6d2870000&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822149408&cm_sp=]TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive[/url] $89.99 - $15 coupon (ESCEFGG55) + Free S/H?
January 23, 2016 10:45AM
New Egg's policy of "address confirmation" has nothing to do with my stable address of decades, but it's about PayPal being linked to a bank/credit union account. Last year I made probably 12 little orders from NewEgg and loved it, but the policy changed at the wrong time. So my goods has to be from a place without that. And really, when I use PayPal it's already a $4 up front loading charge as well as State taxes, so... sux to be me lol

See that Toshiba elsewhere for same price I'll get it.

And bodhi I appreciate your RAM inventory but I meant the Go Flex bases.

So is the 64MB cache on a large hard drive worth the extra money?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 23, 2016 10:57AM
Joey,

> And bodhi I appreciate your RAM inventory but I
> meant the Go Flex bases.

What do you mean by Go Flex bases?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 23, 2016 11:31AM
Don't those Seagate GoFlex docks have a SOC within? The bases you put a case around a hard drive and set it into a dock.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 23, 2016 01:00PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Don't those Seagate GoFlex docks have a SOC
> within? The bases you put a case around a hard
> drive and set it into a dock.

GoFlex Home, GoFlex Net, Pogo E02, Pogo V4/Mobile, Dockstar, Sheevaplug, Guruplug, iConnect. We call them Kirkwood plugs. Most have 128MB DDR2 RAM and 128MB NAND. A few among these have 256MB or 512MB NAND.

Zyxel NSA3xx, Iomega, Buffallo, most are Kirkwood small NASes (with box enclosure). But sometimes we call them plugs too, since they are not that big. But they have various size RAM and NAND.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 12:26AM by bodhi.
January 24, 2016 12:05AM
Man, bodhi you go the extra mile i have to say that, thank you kindly sir.

*Newsflash, that little tablet sold out. I kick myself for not jumping on that one, but the Winter isn't over yet. The price was right, but the batteries probably sat there 2-3 years too.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 24, 2016 10:00AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Don't those Seagate GoFlex docks have a SOC
> within?

Both Seagate DockStar and GoFLEX Home / NET use the same SoC (a Marvell MV88F6281 A0 (DDR2)) with an ARM926EJ-S CPU (Marvell Feroceon), AFAICT.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.