Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hard drive prices starting to come down

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Hard drive prices starting to come down
January 29, 2016 05:31PM
At our old haunt Adorama they have a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB USB 3.0 for $72.99.

I'm glad to report my local Best Buy matched the price, and yours might too.* I've still got to rub more pennies together for another 2TB (next one internal 3.5") because stakes keep getting higher when most of my eggs are in one basket, but things seem to be looking up.

And yes, I know my Pogoplugs have no USB 3.0 but maybe I can carry out some NTFS/Ext3 format read-write tests in the near future.

Happy hard driving if you've saved your pennies too, because there should be a couple months of good news across the board...

* Why buy local at Best Buy? And why an external? Local because I know Best Buy gets a big box packed properly and uses their own smooth-riding trucks to transport this stuff, and I trust that way better than one little package with the postal service.
Also my last My Passport Ultra 1TB had clicks on one computer, which freaked me out, but turned out three other computers and every router here didn't click and it's run fine 24/7 for months.

I learned something with an Antec Sonata II case 12 years ago: the internal hard drives are nicely cushioned from vibration and in 12 years I've never lost a hard drive! I strongly theorize a little TLC goes a long way with externals, but we'll just have to see...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 02:11AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Hard drive prices starting to come down
January 30, 2016 08:49AM
May be, this TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive $89.99 - $15 w/ promo code AFMHD0126B = $74.99 + free S/H is a better deal for you?
Re: Hard drive prices starting to come down
January 30, 2016 12:12PM
It possibly would have been much better, but I have no bank account linked to my PayPal account as of two years, one heart failure and one heart attack earlier (said my cardiologist). I can't stress that enough. Address confirmation they call it. I've lived here at the same address for 25 years and no it's not about proving you live here, and other than student loans I have no credit strikes against me. Furthermore, a bank account could jeopardize the insurance that gets pricey when it's cardiac problems and you have four stents in your heart. I don't get any kind of monthly check to cash either. I don't beg nor borrow.

HOWEVER... I FEEL GREAT! Glad to have not lost my life a while back. I have projects going that are SO meaningful and SO happy-making that extreme low income is more of a jigsaw puzzle than a constant annoyance. Low sodium pizza is possible, and the nurses were smoking hot, so fear not the heart reaper lol

Sorry my story of woe if anyone's shocked to have to read that. I understand. Have no more to say, other than...

Reiterate, NewEgg has great deals, I've bought roughly 20 times 2 years ago, but if you don't have a bank account linked it's NoEgg and no AliExpress. Also, even though NewEgg does have great prices, have you read the reviews? Or tried to ask for help? You may find you absolutely cannot get your Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Iron browser to send a help ticket.

I'm just lucky I've got eBay for the most part, BestBuy locally and Adorama camera, but that's about it! And a Hitachi internal 2 TB (product ID'd as a reliable one) that was $53 for a month went up to $75 yesterday! ARGH! Now THAT gets my goat! LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:12PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.