Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help organizing a desktop (non-closet) cloud*

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Need help organizing a desktop (non-closet) cloud*
February 06, 2016 05:58PM
*extra points if it non-intrusively resembles a cloud

First of all, if I had an Erector Set (anyone remember those?) I wouldn't be asking. I'd have made about three levels to stack Pogoplugs, two or three routers, network switch or two, external hard drives and maybe even a computer power supply with green pin wired to ground for external power supplies. The idea is to have all the stuff nice and neat, so at the worst I'd be switching a short ethernet cable or replacing USB stick on a Pogoplug, or thereabouts. As-is it's a big mess, wires everywhere. It's not hard to carefully make wires neater. If the things they're hooked up to stay on one place.

I have no doubt some of you have a tidy non-closet setup like that, and wondered if there's some common rack kind of object that excels where other methods fail? So close and yet so far... maybe get some cheap wood strips and make a mockup, but meh...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Need help organizing a desktop (non-closet) cloud*
February 07, 2016 09:15AM
@Joey

have a look in (goodwill?) and look for a CDRACK, remove the boards from there cases and you then mount them on old CD cases. This will allow for very short ethernet cables.

You may need to extend the 12v power lines to use a lightly modified ATX powersupply to feed all this.
Re: Need help organizing a desktop (non-closet) cloud*
February 09, 2016 11:58PM
Yeah good one that's got the imagination going. Maybe even a bit of a turntable and plan a little leeway for the to and fro wires. Next eBay maybe I can swing some little 1-foot CAT5E+ cables to help drive the point home as well. And since none of this happened yet I'm toiling to clean up obsolete stuff I'll never use. For instance a couple hard to press keyboards when I've got 8 nicer ones, that kind of thing.

Because of Goodwill, St Vincent DePaul and other thrift stores, and Pogoplugs and here, this has been an amazing journey this past year.

OMG inspiration strikes! If it looks somewhat like a cloud I should have a model plane up top with the propeller fan blowing down on the electronics... food for thought... hmmm maybe even mount said plane on oscillating fan, that's sounding cool...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.