Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station

Posted by habibie 
Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station
February 14, 2016 01:20PM
If you had a PogoPlugPOGO-V4-A3-01 and/or any devices with some USB3 ports, perhaps you may wanna get this Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station $19.99 - $15 rebate (from NewEgg) = $4.99. I just placed an order for one unit to use it as an external SATA port for my Linux Desktop computer. This way, I can simply plug my SATA HDD used on my PogoPlug Pro 02 to the SATA port whenever I need to install/update a newly built OpenWRT firmware for my PogoPlug Pro 02.
Re: Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station
February 14, 2016 06:55PM
Whoa, took me a second, FIVE BUCKS? Man I'm missing out so bad not linking a credit union account to PayPal.

In other thought processes just out of curiosity, what format do you use for large drives?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2016 07:43PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 14, 2016 08:01PM
If you meant to ask what file system, then my answer is I use EXT4.
February 15, 2016 12:43AM
Yeah thanks, that's what I was asking about. Knock on wood I'd like a little of both, similar to yours and definitely some of this:

Maybe sooner or later they'll make the same thing for SATA drives, a switch for each drive. I'd been stressing whether to throw my efforts into a SATA system or USB 3.0, but a little of both is more versatile and corresponds to sales.

Again I'm veering off topic, but when it comes to UASP, it's said that's the fastest USB 3.0. And I was wondering, if the PCIE card had that, and the hub up above is plugged into it, should that work at higher speeds then?

USB off a Pogoplug is one thing, I don't mind 2.0 speed if it's hugging 2.0's top end, but for copying a 1 TB drive to another then doubling or tripling that speed is great as well.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 15, 2016 07:03AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah thanks, that's what I was asking about. Knock
> on wood I'd like a little of both, similar to
> yours and definitely
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Port-USB-3-0-
> Hub-On-Off-Switches-AC-Power-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-
> Laptop-/251917705325?hash=item3aa777206d:g:PKsAAOS
> wSHZWgedE]some of this:[/url]
>

That's not a bad deal. About 3 years ago, I bought similar one, except it is a USB2 sans the power brick, from AliExpress for a little less than $4.

> Again I'm veering off topic, but when it comes to
> UASP, it's said that's the fastest USB 3.0. And I
> was wondering, if the PCIE card had that, and the
> hub up above is plugged into it, should that work
> at higher speeds then?
>

Perhaps, you may wanna read this [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI]USB Attached SCSI[/url] to find out more.

> USB off a Pogoplug is one thing, I don't mind 2.0
> speed if it's hugging 2.0's top end, but for
> copying a 1 TB drive to another then doubling or
> tripling that speed is great as well.
>

Exactly.
February 16, 2016 02:13PM
@Joey

If you missed the previous Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station offer, then try this Mediasonic NSO1-SU3 USB 3.0 2.5" / 3.5" Hot-Swappble SATA HDD UASP Docking Station $14.99 - $12.00 rebate card = $3.99 + Free S/H. Grab it ASAP before the offer is gone.

I don't know if this Mediasonic NSNOE-SU3 USB 3.0 2.5" SATA 6.0 Gb/s UASP External Hard Drive Enclosure $10 - $10.00 rebate card = $0 + $.99 S/H can be included or not to the rebate with the above purchase. However, when I read the rebate form, it clearly says This mail-in rebate offer is valid only with purchases made between 02/16/2016 and 02/19/2016 on Mediasonic NSO1-SU3 USB 3.0 2.5" / 3.5" Hot-Swappble SATA HDD UASP Docking Station and Mediasonic NSNOE-SU3 USB 3.0 2.5" SATA 6.0 Gb/s UASP External Hard Drive Enclosure by an end user customer at Newegg.com. Only the actual purchaser of the qualifying product may participate. Limit one rebate per product line per person, address, and household. Limit one rebate submission per envelope unless otherwise stated. Anyway, I place an order for the former one only.
February 16, 2016 08:28PM
habibie the good news, after 12 days received a PCIE USB 3.0 card with two ports, cost $7.50 and has my WD My Passport Ultra 2TB reading 200 MB/sec and 400 MB peaks! This on a SATA II motherboard. Plain jane card though, no breakout box or provisions, but for the first time I see USB 3.0 can be a lot faster than my main router (D-link DIR 857) was IO'ing.

Still I don't have address confirmation for NewEgg, nor an extra $25 it takes to load PayPal, so I'm forced tp pass for now. Nice deals you find though. You've been lucky at NewEgg like I've been lucky with Goodwill. Something's going right!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 16, 2016 10:20PM
@Joey

Ever since you mentioned about a USB3 PCI card, I have been lurking around and found this New 4-Port USB 3.0 to PCI-E Card Express Expansion Card Adapter VIA Chipset $5.98 + Free S/H. However, in the Package includes: section, it says 1x Rebuilt-in 4-ports USB 3.0 PCI-E Card. Also, I don't know how good is the VIA chipset used on this card. Have you and/or anyone any idea about this USB3 PCI card?

EDIT: I don't know what type of a Super Speed USB 3.0 Host Controller used on this card. However, I believe it is a VIA VT800. I lurked around the Linux kernel v4.4 source tree and did not find its driver source. However, this Customer Questions & Answers seems to be very encouraging, but provides no proof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 08:00AM by habibie.
February 16, 2016 11:40PM
VIA, I can't speak at all for Linux but for Windows or OSX I'd avoid VIA like the plague. The tip-off is VIA offering your choice of Black or Bubonic (ohh!).

I PM'ed you the one I bought, it claims to be generic but has the Fresco Logic FL1009, which is a 2-port version of the 4-port uasp version. I don't know if mine has uasp, but will say those speeds knock me out! Copying from one WD My Passport Ultra to another is rock solid 60 MB/sec

The CD is loaded with drivers and for what it's worth, Windows needed at least these two and maybe more, listed as:

Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller FL1009 Series
Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Root Hub

So it is an actual hub and therefore int he future I'll get one of those switch boxes because this is behind a large case and I'm not a fan of crawling behind the computer under the desk lol

Here' the same USB speedometer I've been using for about a year, USBDeview. This doesn't account for faster real world speeds of sustained 200 MB/sec peaking at 400 MB/sec from external HD to Desktop. All NTFS in Windows 7 x64, and keep in mind my computer is older, though quadcore, 8 GB RAM and running SATA II and no higher.

USB 3.0 Reads:
WD My Passport Ultra 2TB: 110.97 MB/Sec
WD My Passport Ultra 1TB: 72.12 MB/Sec

USB 3.0 Writes:
WD My Passport Ultra 2TB: 67.87 MB/Sec
WD My Passport Ultra 1TB: 61.39 MB/Sec

Here's to compare some USB 2.0 speeds I've clocked previously with same app

USB 2.0 READS:
32.77 MB/Sec WD My Passport Ultra 1TB
31.70 MB/Sec PNY 64GB Turbo
31.36 MB/Sec G-Connect USB 2.0 external hard drive with Hitachi inside
30.36 MB/Sec PNY 32GB Turbo USB 3.0 FD USB Device (replacement)
28.28 MB/Sec PNY 32GB Turbo
27.53 MB/Sec University Handout
22.47 MB/Sec PNY 16GB Go flash drive 2.0 USB Device
21.37 MB/Sec SanDisk Cruzer
19.70 MB/Sec LEXAR
10.00 MB/Sec Drugstore brand
7.44 MB/Sec Kingston

USB 2.0 WRITES:
22.98 MB/Sec WD My Passport Ultra 1TB
22.53 MB/Sec G-Connect USB 2.0 external hard drive with Hitachi inside
19.04 MB/Sec PNY 64GB Turbo
18.85 MB/Sec PNY 32GB Turbo USB 3.0 FD USB Device (replacement)
10.97 MB/Sec PNY 32GB Turbo
5.61 MB/Sec LEXAR
5.44 MB/Sec PNY 16GB Go flash drive 2.0 USB Device
5.05 MB/Sec University Handout
4.07 MB/Sec Kingston
3.58 MB/Sec Drugstore brand
3.40 MB/Sec SanDisk Cruzer

Hope that helps in some small way.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 12:24AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 17, 2016 01:36AM
Excuse me for the addendum, but I'm pretty sure the speed differences with the new USB 3.0 card us due to antivirus (Avast) running after the first measurements were made. The USB 2.0 speed tests certainly had antivirus off. That's Windows for you!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 17, 2016 08:03AM
Probably, I should get this 4 Port USB 3.0 HUB to PCI-e PCI Express Card Adapter Chipset Brandly New LD. I could be wrong, but it does not look like the USB3 chipset used is a VIA.
February 17, 2016 10:56AM
Your guess is as good as mine. I'll say this though, when USB receptacles are on a PCI(e) card like that, remember that PNY Turbo we looked at? That won't plug in because it's too big! The limits of the card edge apply to any USB stick that's wide. So in my case adding the switchbox is the way to do that.

Lots of cards have a breakout box to run to a desktop's front panel, but I'm starting to get real superstitious if the PCIe cards have uASP or otherwise run like the one I got. I'll probably get the same exact card again for the ThinClient, two multi switch boxes and that'll do fine until the next motherboards or SOCs.

Back to Pogoplugs, it goes to show how efficient Bodhi got these running when my slowest USB sticks work perfectly fine as the OS!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.