Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone run XAMPP Web Server/Wordpress/forum like this on Pogoplug?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Anyone run XAMPP Web Server/Wordpress/forum like this on Pogoplug?
February 21, 2016 03:13AM
Sooner or later I've got to make a neighborhood website, where neighbors can use their wireless connection to read Wordpress stuff or an actual UBB forum. So this wouldn't have streaming music or be a DLNA site, just neighborhood messaging.
I know this post is already sounding like terrain we covered before, but naw, it's more about learning the lessons of earlier endeavers.
For instance, we're fairly in agreeance the 128 MB RAM of the two black Pogos and Mobile may not be comfortably suitable for Open Media Vault type stuff. Those we can spend $20-ish and get a quadcore with 1G RAM and go to town.

So say a Pogoplug Mobile with Debian, any new ideas what would really excel comfortably within those specifications?

There's only one idea I'd like to pitch. Firefox has a feature where you can have your bookmarks update automatically. This is insane how cool it works. But it's sending it all out to the man and besides, why not two or more browsers support? Like Firefox, which is my favorite LAN browser, make a localhost sync and another for Iron/Chrome, which is for basic web and research. Seems in order to do that you'd need a button or launcher and a way to copy and retrieve bookmarks from the Pogoplug.

You probably have a P4 Mobile doing wondrous things, so SPILL THE BEANS!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Anyone run XAMPP Web Server/Wordpress/forum like this on Pogoplug?
February 21, 2016 07:10AM
I have no experience on XMPP. However, after googling around, I found this Comparison of XMPP server software chart. So, which one are you planning to use? My preference will probably be the Jabberd2. However, it does not seem to look good from the Comparison of XMPP server software chart. OTOH, I noticed Prosody, written in LUA language, has been ported to OpenWRT. So, probably that is the one I will be using if I shall configure an XMPP server for my needs.
February 21, 2016 03:51PM
XAMPP is the one I've been looking at, but I noticed in the "recent discussions" they too mention redirecting almost like the Mint problem as of yesterday. I wonder what's going on?

The appeal of XAMPP is the newb-friendly install and UI. I can't tell you how much better off I am having Debian and Arch practically installed for me (thanks to Bodhi and Gravelrash) a year ago, because once I see what it can do, it's henceforth a lot easier to "repair" or you know, take the training wheels off.

The OpenWRT is a neat idea too, but in our recent searches about flash memory etc I was finally educated about NAND memory. Its the kind that wears out fast.

Lastly, the addons for this are quite enticing:

*Off Topic, but when others help me take a giant step, I always give them credit in one way or another. So my Pogo v4 Mobile is called Grodhi, honor of Gravelrash and Bodhi's resources and resourcefulness. Maybe Sgt Grodhi to include the overclocker, but...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Attachments:
open | download - XAMPP-setup.jpg (128.8 KB)
February 21, 2016 08:07PM
I hate to rain on my own parade, but, if one critiquer is correct, the pavement of good intentions leads to the hell of Oracle.

Support/forum moderation people are arrogant and overbearing. MySQL IS waning, the writing (freedom software foundation verifies that commercial use (for free) is prohibited) is on the wall. MariaDB IS the logical predecessor because of its compatibility. An option to install one or the other would be ideal. This software is one of the driving pre-development options for a whole generation of neophyte developers hoping to eventually develop something that will be able to perform a commercial function. Maintaining that MySQL (who now blatantly require that you either pay up or go fully open-source) be the database of choice removes that ability. If XAMPP is now owned by ORACLE as well, then this is financially justified. If it is indeed Open Source, then listen to the people and get in touch with the winds of change. Get rid of the autocratic moderators, it gives XAMPP a huge black eye. NutShell: If you're just playing with web applications, this is perfect. If you eventually want to make something you can sell, go elsewhere or wait until it offers an alternative or two to MySQL.
Posted 06/18/2014
Source:

Not to mention Debian doesn't want to install a .run binary. So I'll back off and research better another day.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 21, 2016 10:34PM
It runs fine, not as fast to compare to my PC but OK. I use Nginx, MySQL, and PHP. I don't know if it makes any difference but I don't use any usb sticks only hard drive is connected with PogoPlug e02 1.2ghz. Note: SWAP is a must.
http://tuxlite.com/faq/
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.