Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Mint - be careful with Linux Mint ISO download Feb 20

Posted by bodhi 
Linux Mint - be careful with Linux Mint ISO download Feb 20
February 21, 2016 04:19AM
Beware of hacked ISOs if you downloaded Linux Mint on February 20th!
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

As Clem recommended, make sure you check the md5sum for this ISO.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Linux Mint - be careful with Linux Mint ISO download Feb 20
February 21, 2016 05:10AM
thanks for the headsup - mint is my daily driver
February 21, 2016 05:57AM
Gravelrash,

I'm trying to get the trackpad to work on Mint 17.1 or 17.2 with Dell Chromebook 11 (first year model). It does not work at all in either versions.

I think perhaps the driver was not running, but dmesg did not show any sight of it was even trying to load. While the system on USB is running, xinput does not show the trackpad, only usb. Right now I'm have to use the mouse, I'm hoping that after installation and do system update I might get the driver updated too.

It would be great if you are aware of any hints!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 21, 2016 06:38AM
from what i can remember of this issue - the driver for the touchpad was one of those that wasnt available as an opensource variant.

However the Arch guys figured out a "workaround"
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Chromebook_11#Post_Installation_Configuration

HTH
on a separate note, The touchpads on my other units - all Dell as it happens, works very well - however the sensitivity on them needs to be adjusted.
February 21, 2016 10:56AM
Have you all tried 17.3 even as live otherwise? Works on two laptop trackpads here, one a Dell and the other an HP.
AV Linux is driver-rich as well. I only run Mint on the ThinClient though, and am waiting to see AV Linux x64 (Debian tweaked oh so nice).

As a Windows web-alternative and general LAN access, and fun-tastic screensavers just for art, XFCE Mint 17.3 is my baby.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 21, 2016 02:33PM
Gravelrash,

> However the Arch guys figured out a
> "workaround"

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Chromebook_11#Post_Installation_Configuration
>

Thanks, this might work.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 21, 2016 03:46PM
Joey,

> Have you all tried 17.3

No Mint 17.3, the site was hacked too. I guess I'll have to find the torrent somewhere.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 21, 2016 05:56PM
My December install of 17.2 updated to 17.3 when it was ready, but later on got a fresh 17.3 for Live installs/troubleshooting, one of the perks of that fine Pogoplug E02. And the only reason I got 17.2 on time was because DistroWatch whispered in everyone's ear it's already at SourceForge.

Wish I at least had the torrent file to give you, because torrents should still be fine. Pretty sure mine's long gone though.
17.3 had a lot of changes including window management, drivers, and runs so well that 99% of what do you'd never think it's a unicore ThinClient on USB stick! Video/audio can un-sync but that's life on a thin client.

Worth noting too, AV Linux uses older kernels, but again booting Live contrasts what drivers might still work.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 06:09PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 21, 2016 06:22PM
Joey,

>
> Wish I at least had the torrent file to give you,
> because torrents should still be fine. Pretty sure
> mine's long gone though.

Thanks for the thought! I found it in my archive. Turned out I did download this ISO back in December, but forgot about it :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 23, 2016 12:16PM
Wow what happened to the Mint Linux website? It's my Firefox's start page so I see it every day, and last I saw it was a message from January saying basically we got $16,000 in donations! Whew! Oh man we never even HEARD of that much money in our lives and we're currently deep-sea diving in a stadium filled with sixteen thousand dollars! To paraphrase.

Now the lights are off.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 01:18PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 23, 2016 12:26PM
I just pointed by Chrome web browser to the link you provided above, and all I got was This webpage is not available.
February 23, 2016 12:50PM
the link works for me
February 23, 2016 01:16PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the link works for me

You've got the Midas touch, it works here too now. Apparently your good luck charm works better than mine.

Mint though, at first I thought Cinnamon looked 100 x better than the Ubuntu I was used to, but after taking them all for a spin I happen to like XFCE the best. When you cursor though the start menu I like the visual confirmation where you're at.

The best looking OS I've ever seen though, was Debian with KDE and based on Oxygen elements. Never mind the heat the desktop computer was putting out to support 'ole Black Beauty lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.