Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiki?

Posted by libv 
Wiki?
February 28, 2016 04:07PM
Forums? Really? Trawling through this here is just a waste of time as there is almost no signal and nothing but noise.

What's wrong with a wiki and with letting _many_ people fix and structure information? Since you already use github, why not set up a wiki there?

-- The guy who structured most of linux-sunxi.org.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 04:43PM by bodhi.
Re: Wiki?
February 28, 2016 04:46PM
@libv,

> What's wrong with a wiki and with letting _many_
> people fix and structure information? Since you
> already use github, why not set up a wiki there?

Thanks for suggestion. I think it is a legit criticism. But we are not organized like more official distros. This is mainly a hacking forum.

If I have enough volunteers then there will be a wiki :)

@doozan forum members,

Please PM me to volunteer if you'd like to make this happen.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 04:47PM by bodhi.
March 01, 2016 11:51AM
@all

I volunteer to assist in the wiki - if libv would like to assist that would be brilliant.

From what started I understand started as a hacking forum, with the commitment and contribution and the other VERY knowledgeable people who have posted, this has turned into a "mini distro" of sorts..

my offer for a name is bodavian - made of of Bodhi + DavyGravy + Debian

and it also sounds a little like "bodacious" which is what i think of this forum + rootfs + kernel :o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 11:56AM by Gravelrash.
March 01, 2016 01:28PM
Yes. Let's have a naming poll, add Jeff to it too. bodadovian :))

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Just thoughts fresh off the cranium
March 01, 2016 02:40PM
It's a neat idea in theory, a Wiki could balance the other out. Call it Grodavian to add Gravelrash LOL

Online forums is an area I have some kind if experience in an earlier life. For its kind it was the best on earth and there's assorted sites based on it to this day. Just to note, I had nothing to do with the technical implementation of the site, it was an online fill-in-the-blank kind.

What I learned is, when it's a forum format like here, you get the best human interactions and best nuggets of educational gold. True the noise ratio is high (many times my fault as a Linux lad) but the brainstorming going on here is incredible.

Check this out: I started programming BASIC on Macs in 1981. I have six years University computer science until about XP came in. And yet in all those years I didn't know a 2.5" hard drive takes only 5v and a 3.5" takes 5v and 12v. I didn't even really know how to setup a home router with the right IPs. There are holes in everyone's knowledge because we can't know everything.

My point being, when you consider ALL aspects of computers at this point in time, if you could take a snapshot in time, I don't believe a person who studied their whole natural lifespan could take it all in. This including the "obsolete" technologies discarded like VXDs.

In the end I like the idea of a Wiki, but only as an offshoot of here. A Wiki vacuum can be as sensory deprived as Debian forums, where the community never gets answers, adherence to rules is more important than being a human, and while Wikis have great educational potential, I fail to ever see projects that people actually use.

Take Pogolug: Jeff Doozan & Bodhi made it possible. Arch forums took it farther. Qui went farther. This forum added bells and whistles.It's the coolest 4-watt server ever made. But not one took it all and put the best parts into a Wiki.

My prediction, if the first two topics are Pogpolug and OrangePi, the world will come to your door.

I just want one OrangePi as a neighborhood website and another as a TV box (ROKU alternative and home LAN DLNA player). If I can be of help I'm not hard to reach. I hate to make promises I can keep and won't jinx myelf by making promises, but maybe I can contribute techniques for newbs. Easy printable terminal commands and nothing at all you don't need. That kind of thing.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Just thoughts fresh off the cranium
March 01, 2016 03:38PM
I think Joey nailed it. My hesitation to start the Wiki in the past because:

A Wiki vacuum can be as sensory deprived as Debian forums, where the community never gets answers, adherence to rules is more important than being a human, and while Wikis have great educational potential, I fail to ever see projects that people actually use

Other reason: I hoped to get Jeff's installation script updated and put the starting point back to where it was (http://projects.doozan.com/debian/).

So I think perhaps the Wiki should be modestly organized as a table of contents that point to forum threads? to help users navigate.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 01, 2016 05:47PM
i like the pointer to threads, as this also allows anyone who feels so inclined to edit the preamble and tie it down to a list of salient dry facts which for some of the TL:DR crowd, i admit i can be one of them when needs be. havent got the time or inclination to try and understand what brought the solution / topic to conclusion.

@Joey - my input to the forum isnt worthy of having my moniker tied to the naming.

:)
March 01, 2016 05:50PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. Let's have a naming poll, add Jeff to it too.
> bodadovian :))

gets my vote!
March 01, 2016 11:01PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> @Joey - my input to the forum isnt worthy of
> having my moniker tied to the naming.

Arise O humble one. you get the date with Pippa. I could make a Pi joke, but naw....

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Just thoughts fresh off the cranium
March 02, 2016 03:20AM
bodhi Wrote:
>
> So I think perhaps the Wiki should be modestly
> organized as a table of contents that point to
> forum threads? to help users navigate.

I don't like the idea that the wiki is an extended table of contents for specific topics, but I really like the idea of having a wiki *in addition to this forum*. (Possably I am a burned child, as I participate in the Squeezebox forums, where it was for some to me obscure reasons to have ALL questions to a specific piece of hardware / software in one thread - several thousands posts....)

If I have a question and somebody posts me tho a thread with many posts, I am usually thinking if I should delve into the discussion and look somewhere else. In this forum, it works, as the first posts are updated to reflect the up-to-date info.

I see a wiki as the source of the relevant info (todos, howtos, info, ...) and the forum threads as background info. So if I want to just do the stuff, the wiki is sufficient, but it is recommended to look into the threads as they give background info and reflect possible pitfalls.

Somehow, the wiki should contain the first post from many threads, but more interlinked and structured (hardware as the underlying structure?).

Thanks,

Rainer

Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
March 23, 2016 06:51AM
+1 for this.

I'm also volunteering for at least the devices I own. (zyxel NASes and that hp thin client)

I'm sick of having to look in 4 different places for ttl pinouts, hardware stats, and to have to use google for all times I needed the emergency u-boot for serial-booting my nsa325v2. :)

>Somehow, the wiki should contain the first post from many threads, but more interlinked and structured (hardware as the underlying structure?).

The wiki will likely be composed of two general type of pages, tutorials (applicable to most devices) and device page.

Bodhi's main post in the threads about rootfs/kernel/u-boot will be cloned as tutorials in the wiki. But these aren't very necessary, nor the real meat of the wiki.

The real meat is the device pages, where you find the usual hardware info, bootlogs, stock uboot envs, serial pinout, useful scripts or files, AND the device-specific tutorials or hacks/mods (for example the configuration of hardware buttons or the GPU driver compiling/configuration for that HP t3525 thin client we liberated lately)
March 23, 2016 07:13AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> my offer for a name is bodavian - made of of Bodhi
> + DavyGravy + Debian
>
> and it also sounds a little like "bodacious" which
> is what i think of this forum + rootfs + kernel
> :o)

bodacious = Bodhi + DavyGravy + Debicious
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.