Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supplies on those hard drive to USB converters

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Power Supplies on those hard drive to USB converters
March 10, 2016 01:07AM
I'd thought they were stuck at 10 watts consumption and it wasn't the power supplies, it's real likely the USB 2.0 is set to consume that much,

Here's a random low-priced USB 2.0 converter with power supply. I have a Thin Client that needs 5v for the new USB 3.0 PCIE card, and 5 and 12v to run a 3.5" hard drive. At first I tried an older ATX power supply, short green pin to ground and hooked up. Right away the USB reports on screen "over current, shutting down for safety". I was worried I burned the card out so I tried my adapter power supply with 2 x adapter and voila, works ever since. Happened to be plugged into my watt mater, so the watts have peaks and valleys (4-8w is normal) but the power supply runs cool.

So now you know, the standard cheap one-trick-pony power supply can be a very useful investment in it's own right.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Power Supplies on those hard drive to USB converters
March 10, 2016 07:27AM
@Joey

That looks to be a nice setup for not a lot of $, would you humour me and measure if there is a 12v out on the yellow wire from the psu? visually (and if it follows standards) it looks to supply it.

If it does that is the power supply i think would ideally suited for me for the Pogov3 when i rebox it and add a 3.5" hdd
:
EDIT : just re read this and noted you said you used an ATX and this was a random one you selected.... maybe next time i will read fully and not skim read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 07:37AM by Gravelrash.
March 10, 2016 12:28PM
Yes the little power supply has the same molex receptacle pinout as an ATX. A 5v, ground, ground and 12v. When you buy one of the kits above there's a standard SATA power adapter they throw in for 3.5" hard drives.

Consider it the same as most desktop power supplies, except there's one connector and not several. BUT, I dug up a splitter, turns that into two receptacles (they should be under $1 on the bay or wire your own) and I run that USB 3.0 card (high current 5v) and the SATA II hard drive (5v and 12v).

FWIW my ThinClient has this running out of it:. I'm ordering 4 more ASAP they're so useful and fit all the SATA 3.5".

Way nifty! Safer than a questionable old desktop power supply (I cut the wires off the one I first tried)

Note: both items I mentioned are standard packages sold all over the place. They can be found real inexpensive but on the power supply I'm forgetting I don't know wall power specs outside the States.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 02:19PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 12, 2016 12:20AM
Gents, as you can see I'm getting worse conveying ideas lately, likely due to a whopper of a cold, the kind that last a month.

But with that tiny power supply, lately I've spied spindown wattage at 1.4 watts and the USB 3.0 card is still hooked up with nothing plugged into it. When it spins up, it's about 18w for a second or two and levels around 10-ish.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.