Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlex Net - connect 3.5 hdd?

Posted by rkrug 
GoFlex Net - connect 3.5 hdd?
March 24, 2016 04:03AM
Hi

I just ordered a GoFlex Net for 20 Euro from Amazon.fr - not bad as far as I can see.

But I have a question: has anybody experiences with connecting 3.5 hdd to the GoFlex net? AS far as I know, I can use a simple sata cable from the bay to the hdd, but I need a power supply for the hdd.

Any suggestions for this? Or is there a better way of connecting two 3.5 hdd to the GoFlex net (obviously usb - but for this I can use mu Pogoplug E02)

Rainer

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
Re: GoFlex Net - connect 3.5 hdd?
March 24, 2016 07:43AM
You need something like this if you are talking about bare 2.5 drives: 22 Pin Sata Extension Cable

If you put the 2.5 drive(s) in an esata enclosure with it's own power, you would need this cable: 22 Pin Male to 7 Pin Female with Power Sata Cable and this adapter: Sata to Esata Adapter. Note in this situation you would not be using the power part of the SATA cable so you could fold and bind them to get them out of the way.

Note: When ordering cables on Amazon or eBay, pay very close attention to the gender of the cable ends. It gets confusing.

Note2: Does the 'Net accept 3.5" drives? I couldn't tell but I know the two drive slots have removable inserts but maybe that for use with either bare 2.5" drive (insert inserted) vs 2.5" drive in Seagate enclosure (no insert).

Note3: Found the attached picture to get another example of connection options.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 08:13AM by LeggoMyEggo.
Attachments:
open | download - 10551562_10152693356782020_1799197332599215961_ocvb.jpg (242.1 KB)
March 24, 2016 08:35AM
If you feel more adventurous, on openwrt wiki there is a hardware hack, the guy soldered a couple cables to route the 12volt power from the device's power connector (which is at 12 volts) to the sata port's 12 volt power lines https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/seagate/goflexnet#photos

The power adapter itself has to support the increased power draw of the bigger drives (stock one might be too weak, I don't know, I can provide the specs of the power adapter of my nsa 325v2 which does run 2 drives), but apart from that, this hack is pretty safe, as the sata port's 12v lines aren't connected to the system board

Then you can use the 22 Pin Male to 7 Pin Female with Power Sata Cable mentioned above (there are also shorter versions) to connect both power and sata to the drives

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 08:36AM by bobafetthotmail.
March 24, 2016 09:01AM
@LeggoMyEggo: Thanks - very useful information. I'll see which way I'll go - exernal eSATA housing sounds tempting due to the included power supply. If I interpret the picture correctly, an old PC housing is used for the housing and power supply of the hdds - correct? Interesting idea, especially if I can use a multiplier on the SATA ports to connect more than one drive on one port? Depending on the power supply of the GoFlex, one could even power it from the power supply in the housing. Sounds tempting.

@bobafetthotmail: Interesting to know - but I prefer to leave the hardware as it is - but my ideas might change.

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

March 24, 2016 09:31AM
rkrug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll see which way I'll go - exernal eSATA housing
> sounds tempting due to the included power supply.
> If I interpret the picture correctly, an old PC
> housing is used for the housing and power supply
> of the hdds - correct? Interesting idea,
> especially if I can use a multiplier on the SATA
> ports to connect more than one drive on one port?

Example of single esata enclosure for 2.5" drive: 2.5 Esata/USB Enclosure

If I recall correctly, the Net supports port multiplication (please verify first !) so you could use this multi-drive enclosure with the 2nd set of cables I referenced above: 4 Drive eSata / USB 3.0 enclosure. Because of USB 3.0 option, this enclosure has the added benefit of multi usage, just disconnect from the Net and connect to another USB 3.0 host that doesn't necessarily have to support esata and/or port multiplication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 09:34AM by LeggoMyEggo.
March 24, 2016 09:55AM
port multipliers are a bit overkill for a kirkwood imho. Also have bad feelings about sata port multipliers in general.
March 24, 2016 04:07PM
> If I recall correctly, the Net supports port
> multiplication (please verify first !)

It does.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 25, 2016 04:15AM
@LeggoMyEggo : I like the second housing - looks very nice.

@bobafetthotmail : could you elaborate why? Do they put to much pressure on the CPU? I can't imagine that it will be much more than the same number of USB hdd?

@bodhi : good to know - thanks.

March 25, 2016 07:34AM
bobafetthotmail Wrote:
> If you feel more adventurous, on openwrt wiki
> there is a hardware hack, the guy soldered a
> couple cables to route the 12volt power from the
> device's power connector (which is at 12 volts) to
> the sata port's 12 volt power lines
> https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/seagate/goflexnet#pho
> tos
>

From my PoV, the above hack is the least cost. Other than that, perhaps this inexpensive SATA Cable 24pin/7 pin/4pin male to Female extension Power combo cable + an external power supply will also do.

OTOH and if you live in the US, you probably can get a used and/or inexpensive Seagate GoFLEX Home from eBay to use with a 3.5" SATA HDD, instead of an expensive external HDD enclosure.
March 25, 2016 07:53AM
No - France. The GoFLEX Home seem to be a) rather expensive here and b) only take one hdd.

This one also looks useful. I'll wait till I have my GoFlex net in my hands and take it from there.

I'll report back what I decided to do.

Thanks.

March 25, 2016 08:45AM
rkrug Wrote:
> No - France. The GoFLEX Home seem to be a) rather
> expensive here and b) only take one hdd.
>

I was lurking on eBay in France and found this Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home and though you may be interested. I can't access the page from here in the US. So, I don't know what is being offered, unfortunately.
March 26, 2016 12:59PM
>I can't access the page from here in the US.

Which is kinda weird, since that device is in the US. item number 331754578096, paste it into ebay search field.

Non-french ebay sites don't show errors if something is not available for them, just tested. (this is typical for France, very isolationists)

Btw, seagate goflexnet sells for something like 30 euros (total) in france (and for 20 euros in italy, omg omg omg). You cannot really beat that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 01:46PM by bobafetthotmail.
March 26, 2016 03:44PM
You are right.
March 29, 2016 02:17AM
It is actually 20 euro at amazon.fr :

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.